Message Board Thread - "Reporter 7"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Reporter 7 mkw 1/24/2011
Hi:

This image is from ThermaCAM Reporter 7 using the “Isotherm Interval”. Can some explain what I’m looking at?

Re:Reporter 7 Christiane 1/25/2011
Hi,

the isotherm indicates an area of the same apparent temperature. That it differs from the other parts of the roof can have many reasons - humidity, material and surface conditions. Without additional information, it will not be possible to correctly interpret this image. To learn more about this, maybe it is a good idea to attend the following training: http://www.infraredtraining.com/courses/roof.asp

Re:Reporter 7 mkw 1/25/2011
Hi Christiane,

Thanks, I'm a Level 1 and Building Science Thermographer, Building and Roofing Contractor. If you have an online class on Reporter 7, I'd take it!

I'm trying to understand this function and be able to use it correctly in a report. It appears to be showing the boundary average between the largest and and smallest temperature change in the thermogram? I know that I have to take in consideration, conduction and convection issues. Just recently I took a video on a roof test cut where a wall and roof meet. You could actually see the air moving the perlite fibers. I have seen how this could cause a condensation issues inside a roof membrane even though slight.

This roof has been a problem (?) and the Owner claims that it has been leaking. When I first used this function, my first reaction was "Wow, it even traces the leak path" :)

Re:Reporter 7 Christiane 1/26/2011
Hi again,

from the image alone I cannot judge if you used the dew point or isolation function or a standard isotherm. For the latter, you put the temperature limits yourself (from the scale it would be 56 and 57 degree F). If you use the dew point or isolation function, the isotherm is calculated by the Reporter software (or in your camera) using several parameters as humidity etc. pointing out potential risk or deficiency areas. In the manual of the Reporter software, you will find the different settings. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from http://flir.custhelp.com/app/home.

"It appears to be showing the boundary average between the largest and and smallest temperature change in the thermogram?" - It might look like this, but this is a coincidence. The isotherm always shows a certain temperature interval in the isotherm color. I am not so familiar with the US training material, but probably you find some information about both the dew point and the isotherm in there. For the Reporter online class, take a look at http://irtraining.inquisiqr3.com/catalog/course.asp?id=9420&cid=1531.

Good luck!

Re:Reporter 7 Bill Loft 2/9/2011
Several things that I see:
I would not recommend scanning a flat roof in direct sunlight - generally speaking everything heats up to the same temperature so it's harder to see the temperature variations
part of the roof is in the shade - which accounts for the temperature anomaly adjacent to the roof drain (center of the picture)
what time was the picture taken?
Moisture is likely in the roof deck - the temperature variance of more than 5° usually indicates moisture. Were any moisture readings taken?
I would recommend doing the thermal scan at night after sunny day at the same height and angle

Re:Reporter 7 ldapkus 2/9/2011
Roof scans should be done after a day of solar loading. Get some training. You're on the right website for training.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012