Message Board Thread - "Mysteries at the roof line..."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Mysteries at the roof line... The REA Guy 2/8/2011
Howdy Compatriots

This is an image of about a 30" of the top of a wall section on a 10 year old(?) manufactured home. The ambient temperature was about 25 degrees F. I wasn't in the home so I don't know if it has vaulted ceilings. What would be the source of the apparent heat emerging behind the trim board at the top of the wall (and that little soffit)? And what is up with that dark band on the eve above the soffit; would that be moisture? Why would that be occurring?
Thanks, Eric

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... PML 2/9/2011
You sould not see nails or screws.Looks like at least the vapor barrier is affected or maybe absence of isolation materiau. The dark aera maybe ice inside the suffit, created by the condensation.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... ldapkus 2/9/2011
PML wrote:
ld not see nails or screws.Looks like at least the vapor barrier is affected or maybe absence of isolation materiau. The dark aera maybe ice inside the suffit, created by the condensation.
Why shouldn't you see nails or screws???

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... ArtT 2/10/2011
To me it looks like heat escaping through the top on the double sliding door and rising up to create what appears to be a warm spot above the door. Not much temp differential on the scale.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... The REA Guy 2/10/2011
ArtT wrote:
t looks like heat escaping through the top on the double sliding door and rising up to create what appears to be a warm spot above the door. Not much temp differential on the scale.

Please read the opening description; there is no glazing unit in this image.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... Rookie 3/3/2011
The REA Guy wrote:
ompatriots

This is an image of about a 30" of the top of a wall section on a 10 year old(?) manufactured home. The ambient temperature was about 25 degrees F. I wasn't in the home so I don't know if it has vaulted ceilings. What would be the source of the apparent heat emerging behind the trim board at the top of the wall (and that little soffit)? And what is up with that dark band on the eve above the soffit; would that be moisture? Why would that be occurring?
Thanks, Eric
The warm spot is more than likely rising heated air flow. When hot meets cold you sometimes get condensation thus a probable cause for moisture presentation. I would wonder what is below all of this? Could there be a heat source below behind the wall.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... Ice Cream Man 3/3/2011
Is that dark line on the edge of the facia board or the corner of a gutter? At first it appears like the leading edge of the shingles? Whicj is it?

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... The REA Guy 3/3/2011
Regarding the last 2 posts:

Rookie - This occurs at various and several points along the eve; definitely not associated with furnace or ductwork.

Ice Cream Dude (and everyone else) I believe that I am now posting a reference pic (which I should have done in the first place!).

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... lfw 3/3/2011
Perhaps the heat emerging behind the trim is from a frieze vent on a sunny day. If the ambient temp outside is 25 degrees F. the dark blue could be frozen condensation on the botom of the fascia?

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... Slummer 3/3/2011
Could be a bathroom vent line either broken or just venting into the attic space near the soffit. If the wind was blowing to the right (in the image) then the exiting steam from a shower or just a humid house could condense on the outside rim board giving you the dark (wet) colour. Should see what is going on inside as well during the scan.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... RobH2010 3/3/2011
lfw wrote:
the heat emerging behind the trim is from a frieze vent on a sunny day. If the ambient temp outside is 25 degrees F. the dark blue could be frozen condensation on the botom of the fascia?
Consider the possibility of a area of higher reflectivity along the lower sections of the facia board where the painted surface is smoother than the rougher grain area above it. Being a 25F outside temp, it could be assumed that the possibility of a lower reflective temperature could be shown given the angle that the IR image was taken on.
The heat source is possibly a missing section of insulation or a heat source on the interior surface of the wall. A interior inspection would help to define this issue.

Re:Mysteries at the roof line... Scott Wood Associates 5/23/2011
Most homes provide little in air barrier installation or design. If installed they never seem to be perfect, especially at the surface interfaces where the thermal anomaly appears in your image. The warm thermal anomaly seems to be just that, leaking heat possibly convection onto the surfaces showing more as conduction in your image. The temperature of the air outside is very cold increasing the chance of condensation of the warm air being expelled. This could provide for the cooler anomaly at the fascia. In any case the cooler pattern looks as typical moisture would. There are no indications on the visual image to assume a lower emissivity caused this cooler pattern, enhancing the reflection of the sky and the pattern does not seem to indicate this as well.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012