Message Board Thread - "What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? Shandley 2/10/2011
Does anyone know what the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? I am talking about the individual conductor insulation, not the cable sheath.

Thanks!

Re:What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? David Brown 2/11/2011
Shandley wrote:
yone know what the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? I am talking about the individual conductor insulation, not the cable sheath.

Thanks!
The easiest and most accurate way to find out is to measure it with your own camera. Wrap some vinyl electrical tape around the section you want to measure. Using a spot tool on your camera (or your software) record the temperature of the tape with your E set to .95. Then aim the spot at an adjacent section without the tape and adjust your emissivity until the temperature matches the tape. My guess is that it's going to be very close.

Dave

Re:What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? Gary Orlove 2/11/2011
Remember that your insulation must be above the ambient temperature to make this measurement. We suggest at least 20 C or 40 F.

Re:What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? IRJay 2/11/2011
The individual insulation in a romex is equivalent to TW insulation. Use .95 as this value is valid for most electrical insulations.

Re:What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? Shandley 2/11/2011
David Brown wrote:
The easiest and most accurate way to find out is to measure it with your own camera. Wrap some vinyl electrical tape around the section you want to measure. Using a spot tool on your camera (or your software) record the temperature of the tape with your E set to .95. Then aim the spot at an adjacent section without the tape and adjust your emissivity until the temperature matches the tape. My guess is that it's going to be very close.

Dave
I just need to make sure...

by vinyl electrical tape you mean like the 3M #33 PVC tape? I would just hate to use the plastic with adhesive from the dollar store (not that I would ever use that crap) only to find out I off because of the different emissivity of that material.

Re:What is the emissivity value for lumex (romex) conductor insulation? jvoitl 2/11/2011
Yes, use only Scotch 33. The cheap stuff may not work as well. Also be aware of your measurement field of view, depending on your camera you may not be able to get close enough for an accurate measurement on something as small as a wire.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012