Message Board Thread - "Infrared for third graders"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Infrared for third graders lv5kman 2/10/2011
I have a flir infracam sd and I am doing a demo for my sons class. I was wondering if anyone had any cool expieriments I could show his third grade class. Thank you all.

Rich Friedrich
Las Vegas NV
richielv@hotmail.com

Re:Infrared for third graders JKEngineer 2/11/2011
If you can get into the room without the class present, and if there is a carpeted or similar surface, then you can spray a small amount of water in a pattern, such as the school logo or "HI!". Keep the amount of water small enough to not be visible. During your demonstration: "Let's see if there is anything interesting in the classroom". Scan the class and "Wow, look at that!". It helps if you can get a good size monitor and feed video to it from the camera.

Hot and cold water in a cup also works well. So does the hand in the black garbage bag. Also the handprint on the wall. Also a contest for hot and cold noses. (My son's nose was usually cold, so we showed that - healthy puppy dog.)

Jack
Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:Infrared for third graders David Brown 2/11/2011
lv5kman wrote:
a flir infracam sd and I am doing a demo for my sons class. I was wondering if anyone had any cool expieriments I could show his third grade class. Thank you all.

Rich Friedrich
Las Vegas NV
richielv@hotmail.com
Some of my favorites for the kids:
- Handprint on the wall;
- Soda can with hot or cold water with a piece of scotch tape on it (scotch tape is much more compelling because it has nearly the same emissivity as elec. tape but is nearly invisible in the visible spectrum.
- Hand on an open book for a few seconds. Flip the pages to demonstrate conductivity.
- Drop a heavy object (large ball bearing works very nicely) onto a shallow-carpeted floor to demonstrate energy conversion (kinetic to heat).

Let me know if you have any questions about any of these.

Have fun!!

Dave

Re:Infrared for third graders IRJay 2/11/2011
Jack has great ideas. Here are a few I have used at my kids schools back when they were that age.
Get a small rubber ball (super ball) and bounce this and show the spots on the floor.
Use your finger or a hand warmer to write on surfaces and view them.
Get a large sheet of paper like resin paper for construction and have a student lean against this on one side and have persons view it from the other. (they must contact the paper.
Just a few!

Re:Infrared for third graders lv5kman 2/16/2011
A big thank you to all three of you, I think I will be able to put on a neat demo for the kids. Maybe even inspire one to get into IR.Thanks again

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012