Message Board Thread - "Electrical Bus Bar images?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Electrical Bus Bar images? Shandley 3/25/2011
Greetings,

Bare metal does not have a high enough emissivity to get an accurate temperature reading.

I am going into a bussway and need to get some readings of the bussing.

The problem is, in a bussway, the bus bars are bare metal and sit .25" to .5" away from each other. Not enough to get some tape on there that can be seen with the angle I have to take the shots at. The bussway is totally enclosed with access doors.

Any ideas? See the photo below for an idea of what I am talking about. Point 1 shows the bare metal bussing. Point 3 shows insulators which do NOT touch the bussing.

Re:Electrical Bus Bar images? IRJay 3/25/2011
This is where a bucket attachs. Not a splice. The chance of having a problem here without a bucket is slim. The bucket attached would create an opportunity for a poor connection but access to this area then is blocked by the bucket. The problem would appear as conducted heat into the line side of component from the clips or stab points.

Re:Electrical Bus Bar images? Shandley 3/25/2011
IRJay wrote:
where a bucket attachs. Not a splice. The chance of having a problem here without a bucket is slim. The bucket attached would create an opportunity for a poor connection but access to this area then is blocked by the bucket. The problem would appear as conducted heat into the line side of component from the clips or stab points.
Thank you for the quick reply.

That much I can understand and agree with. The images I will be taking a photo of will be the joints between each length of bussway (bus duct). I just wanted to show how little of bussing can be visable and give an idea of what a bussway is.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

So, it'll be the joints, not the disconnect connections.

Re:Electrical Bus Bar images? ptc 4/6/2011
IF you are simply trying to find overheating anomolies at bus connection points, then thermal transfer will occur to the exterior bare metal which will depict areas of concern. Closer study can then be done after that initial inspection. What other purpose do you need the exact temperature of the bus bar itself?

Re:Electrical Bus Bar images? Shandley 4/6/2011
ptc wrote:
are simply trying to find overheating anomolies at bus connection points, then thermal transfer will occur to the exterior bare metal which will depict areas of concern. Closer study can then be done after that initial inspection. What other purpose do you need the exact temperature of the bus bar itself?
Simply for reference. Finding a problem would be a 'bonus'

The bare metal (especially this shape) would not depict the correct temperatures. On closer inspection, I noticed the knives of each buss on either side of the shown picture have a piece of heat shrink around them. I checked its emissivity and was able to get an accurate temperature reading.

Please see the rough IR photo below. The red points to either side of the 3 phases where the heat shrink is.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012