Message Board Thread - "Industrial battery testing "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Industrial battery testing Gary Orlove 6/28/2000
A customer asks the following: - Gary

I am looking for information on whether you have ever seen a case study done on industrial battery applications?

Specifics...
Gould type NCX Flooded, wet cell, lead/acid double (dual) +/- posts about 1200 amp-hr capacity.

We have been attempting to test these 60 battery cells with a 300 amp load, 15 minutes. results are not overly conclusive. Some heating, but looking for testing method for better test results.

We perform a resistance test, called a DLRO (digital, low resistance output) test which measures resistance across terminals. Maximum resistance is 150 micro-ohms. I mention this because I am using it as a beginning point for my reasoning about potential power dissipated during the test, which might be observable with IRT.

Therefore,
P=IxI (R) P= 300x300 x 0.000150 P=13.5 watts

So it seems obvious that little thermal activity is even capable at those low resistance readings.

Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
Summary of my request:
1. Have you seen any case histories on battery testing?
2. Does the resistance testing give insight to whether IRT is feasible to use as a test method?

RE:Industrial battery testing Newton1Law 7/22/2000
The best testing method for this type of battery is load testing, specific gravity testing, the DLRO tests for strap contact resistance and temperature control. I have tried IR testing of our battery banks but have never found a single item with IR that wasn't already obivous by some other method.

We presently test our station batteries using an Alber unit which is good for upto 250 Vdc. The test is done with the battery in service and is stopped if any cell reaches 80% of it's normal voltage during the test. The capacity is recoreded and along with cell voltages, etc.

I would like to see Gary's response to this question as I am unaware of anyone using IR on battery banks. i have been doing batteries and other station equipment yearly for the last 5 years at about 400 different locations but have not seen an IR image of a battery hot spot.

RE:Industrial battery testing Newton1Law 7/22/2000
The best testing method for this type of battery is load testing, specific gravity testing, the DLRO tests for strap contact resistance and temperature control. I have tried IR testing of our battery banks but have never found a single item with IR that wasn't already obivous by some other method.

We presently test our station batteries using an Alber unit which is good for upto 250 Vdc. The test is done with the battery in service and is stopped if any cell reaches 80% of it's normal voltage during the test. The capacity is recoreded and along with cell voltages, etc.

I would like to see Gary's response to this question as I am unaware of anyone using IR on battery banks. i have been doing batteries and other station equipment yearly for the last 5 years at about 400 different locations but have not seen an IR image of a battery hot spot.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012