Message Board Thread - "Moisture detection - floor joists"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Moisture detection - floor joists Mobius01 8/4/2011
Hi,

I have a call to look for any moisture damage to the floor joists due to a roof leak.

- I am thinking that the best time to do the survey would be soon it has rained and then I will be able to detect evaporative cooling.

- If its not an active leak and the moisture has already evaporated then I will not be able to detect any moisture, correct?

- I dont need a d-T for this type of inspection and only RH needs to be lower for the evaporation to happen, correct?

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Re:Moisture detection - floor joists RonColling 8/4/2011
For evaporation to happen, the dew point of the air must be less than the surface temperature. The greater that difference, the more potential for evaporation.

Air movement on the surface will help, as well. Are the joist exposed where you will be inspecting?

Re:Moisture detection - floor joists Mobius01 8/4/2011
RonColling wrote:
poration to happen, the dew point of the air must be less than the surface temperature. The greater that difference, the more potential for evaporation.

Air movement on the surface will help, as well. Are the joist exposed where you will be inspecting?
yes, I have an Anemometer and will make note of the dew point at the time of the inspection.

I dont think there will be any air movement there since the inspection will probably be done from the basement.

I am also not sure if the joists are exposed, because if its a finished basement then we are out of luck :)

Re:Moisture detection - floor joists ldapkus 8/6/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
yes, I have an Anemometer and will make note of the dew point at the time of the inspection.

I dont think there will be any air movement there since the inspection will probably be done from the basement.

I am also not sure if the joists are exposed, because if its a finished basement then we are out of luck :)
If the floor joists are located in the basement and are exposed, you won't need IR. Floor joists in unfinished basements will be 14%-16% relative moisture.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012