Message Board Thread - "Accuracy of temperature measurment."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Accuracy of temperature measurment. Hay 8/25/2011
When I make a thermographical inspection of a electrical installation, how accurate should I measure the temperature, what would be acceptable?

Re:Accuracy of temperature measurment. ldapkus 8/25/2011
Hay wrote:
make a thermographical inspection of a electrical installation, how accurate should I measure the temperature, what would be acceptable?
You should be as accurate as your Level 2 certification instructor taught you.

Re:Accuracy of temperature measurment. IRJay 8/26/2011
Reality says that we can have some wiggle room in accuracy here in that if a problem is presented and measured at 215F then we would most likely still make the same decision if it was really 190. But if only temperature was being used to make this decision then the process is flawed. I use a matrix of 10 points to make a given criteria and temperature only represents 3 or 4 of these. Elelctrical has many published temperature guideline and sometimes that is all that is needed, example being insulated wires and the insulation rating is self indicating. but the undelying problem of this heating is what sets a qualified thermographer apart from an image taker.
If you are performing eletrical inspections then training and experience is the key component. Putting yourself and others in the situations demanded of electrical thermography requires safety training, electrical knowledge and common sense.

Re:Accuracy of temperature measurment. IRsloopyeah 11/29/2011
Focus = F
Temp. = T
Distance = D
F,T,D

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012