Message Board Thread - "IR for snowy condition"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
IR for snowy condition Andry 10/4/2011
Greetings,

I'm new at this thermal imaging and measurement. It is a really interesting subject for me.

Do anyone happen to have a IR picture with the detail parameter information of something (maybe like car, house, electric panel, etc) that's buried (or maybe the correct term is: after cleared out) under the snow.

Since I live at South East Asia, and we didn't have winter in here. And I want to know what to do or how do you set the parameters, if you had to take and measure something with IR camera in snowy condition.

Thanks

Re:IR for snowy condition Gary Orlove 10/5/2011
Water, ice, and snow generally have a high emissivity, 0.94 to 0.99, across the thermal infrared region. Snow is unusual in that it has a high reflectance in the solar (visible) region where most of the downwelling energy is during the day, and a very high emissivity in the thermal region.

Re:IR for snowy condition Andry 10/7/2011
Yes, I main concern is how do you determine (setup the parameter in the camera) the RAT (R Reflective)since water, snow and ice had a high reflective surface.

Since at winter, if you're taking picture outdoor, there's a great possibility that the biggest heat and light emitting source will be the sun. And as we know it, shining surface will reflect most of the sun ray, this can make the result deflect from the real one.

If your taking picture indoor... well maybe there will be room heater, or just several lamp, or maybe nothing at all.

Andry

Re:IR for snowy condition jvoitl 10/7/2011
As Gary said, while snow, ice and water reflect visible light, they reflect very little infrared. As far as RAT is concerned you measure it the same way you would under any other conditions. This proceedure is covered very well in level 1 classes.

Re:IR for snowy condition Gary Orlove 11/3/2011
You can learn about reflected temperature and how to measure it by taking this free online course.

http://irtraining.inquisiqr3.com/catalog/course.asp?id=8817&cid=1528

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012