Message Board Thread - "Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows Mobius01 10/20/2011
Hi,
My IR camera has a user input value for "Thermal Index" in %. I believe this represents to the efficiency of the exterior wall that you are inspecting for insulation problems (heat loss).
So lets say, I am inspecting an exterior wall and I have set the value for thermal index of 80%, so the camera will be checking for the presence of 80% efficiency on the wall area? Is that what it means? I cant seem to find any info. on this function and this is what I figured it means.
P.S Besides thermal index, I also need to enter the value for inside/outside temp along with RH value.

Also, does anyone know what should be the efficiency (in %) for exterior wall and windows in extreme cold conditions? e.g is it 80% for walls and 20% for windows etc?

Thanks

Re:Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows Mobius01 10/25/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
IR camera has a user input value for "Thermal Index" in %. I believe this represents to the efficiency of the exterior wall that you are inspecting for insulation problems (heat loss).
So lets say, I am inspecting an exterior wall and I have set the value for thermal index of 80%, so the camera will be checking for the presence of 80% efficiency on the wall area? Is that what it means? I cant seem to find any info. on this function and this is what I figured it means.
P.S Besides thermal index, I also need to enter the value for inside/outside temp along with RH value.

Also, does anyone know what should be the efficiency (in %) for exterior wall and windows in extreme cold conditions? e.g is it 80% for walls and 20% for windows etc?

Thanks
Actually I was able to find answers to my questions above.

a) I was right about what Thermal Index means.

b)For the coldest day in the winter, the efficiency of an exterior wall should be 75%.

Re:Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows Linas 10/26/2011
Thermal Index is the ratio of temperature drop across the building envelope, to the total temperature drop between inside and outside air:

TI= [(Twall-Tout)/(Tin-Tout)]x100%

Twall= The surface temperature of a properly insulated part of the wall.
Tout= The localized outside air temperature measured by the user.
Tin= The air temperature inside the structure measured by the user.

Example:
Twall=60F
Tin=70F
Tout=30F

TI = [(60 - 30) / (70-30)] x 100 = 75%

Re:Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows Bob Berry 11/7/2011
This camera is not designed to be used with external images, it is intended to be used with internal images.

Thermal imdex is valid where you have a continous conductive path only. If there is any air gap as part of the construction then it cannot be used.

Re:Thermal Index & Efficiency of Walls and Windows Collin Stefani 1/30/2012
Linas wrote:
Index is the ratio of temperature drop across the building envelope, to the total temperature drop between inside and outside air:

TI= [(Twall-Tout)/(Tin-Tout)]x100%

Twall= The surface temperature of a properly insulated part of the wall.
Tout= The localized outside air temperature measured by the user.
Tin= The air temperature inside the structure measured by the user.

Example:
Twall=60F
Tin=70F
Tout=30F

TI = [(60 - 30) / (70-30)] x 100 = 75%

Thank you so much for your post.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012