Message Board Thread - "Is this roof leak?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Is this roof leak? Mobius01 10/25/2011
Hi,
I recently did an inspection of a 8 year old house. This was in the bathroom that had just been used for shower. There was very light rain for the past 6-7 hours.
Does this look like a roof leak? I am not too sure because they appear only where those nail heads are showing. When I put up the moisture meter, it read +40% on those areas and also on the area around those two spots where there does not seem to have any problems.
Humidity: 60%

Re:Is this roof leak? Mobius01 10/25/2011
Here is the IR pic

Re:Is this roof leak? Mobius01 10/25/2011
Here is another one for the other spot.

Re:Is this roof leak? IRJay 10/26/2011
there is staining on the ceiling in the visual too.
the pattern is consistent with moisture in that it is crossing a framing member and grows from a point such as the nail head.
Moisture meter adds another confirmation to this.

Re:Is this roof leak? Mobius01 10/26/2011
IRJay wrote:
s staining on the ceiling in the visual too.
the pattern is consistent with moisture in that it is crossing a framing member and grows from a point such as the nail head.
Moisture meter adds another confirmation to this.
Its a newer home and and I also inspected the roof from the ground and it looked just fine. May be I should have used my camera in the attic to see where the water was coming from but I just did not want to go that route.

What would you suggest a solution to this problem?

Re:Is this roof leak? Linas 10/26/2011
Did you confirm moisture with a moisture meter? Did you go into the attic to check? It may be an old leak or new one.

Re:Is this roof leak? Wieslaw 10/27/2011
I would have thought that there is a leak between the chimney's wall and the roof covering... At attic you'd see moist on the wall of chimney, if I'm right.. and on the roof this place around should be inspected. Just imho..

Re:Is this roof leak? Mobius01 10/27/2011
Wieslaw wrote:
have thought that there is a leak between the chimney's wall and the roof covering... At attic you'd see moist on the wall of chimney, if I'm right.. and on the roof this place around should be inspected. Just imho..
No, there is no chimney. I would like to get up on the attic to investigate this more but its not a part of my inspection to go any further. But I wanted to give my client some extra advise to help them out with this.

Re:Is this roof leak? Hill Top TI 11/8/2011
You might want to check something. I have seen something like this once. The moisture was not a leak from the roof but a leak where the shower head threads onto the pipe nipple. It was so small of a leak that it shot a tiny stream of water straight up onto the ceiling.

Re:Is this roof leak? hunka 11/10/2011
I would suspect that this may be a result of condensation above the ceiling. This looks like a shower enclosure which could be the source of moisture .

Re:Is this roof leak? glassman 11/13/2011
There needs to be a bit more information.
1. what is the plaster board?
2. Is the top side of the board insulated and by how much?
3. Is there any form of a/c ducting close?
I recon, you have got an ingress of water into the room. however, where is it coming from that is the bit that needs to be identified. If it was in romm moisture then it wold not be so precise but more general and on several points within. I take it the shower area has an extracting mechanism. This may be collecting moisture not sealed where it ducts out. It looks as if you are going to have to get a suit on and do a bit of roof crawling. Rod Appleyard

Re:Is this roof leak? Bob Kulakowski 11/14/2011
You have to go into the attic to determine the source. I have found - multiple times - the vent stack for the waste system is leaking. Not the boot but the pipes. PVC cracked or poor adhesive joints, galvinised, decayed and rusting. They leak when it rains at latterals in the attic.

Go up and look.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012