Message Board Thread - "Bad Windows?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Bad Windows? Mobius01 11/6/2011
Hi, I went to a inspection and the customer was complaining about the new windows that were just installed a few months ago.

Based on the attached, does this look like bad windows installation or is this how they are supposed to look.
Outside temp: 5C
Inside temp: 21C

Re:Bad Windows? Mobius01 11/6/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
ent to a inspection and the customer was complaining about the new windows that were just installed a few months ago.

Based on the attached, does this look like bad windows installation or is this how they are supposed to look.
Outside temp: 5C
Inside temp: 21C
Here is the digital pic.

Mobius01 wrote:
Here is the digital pic.
Another window

Mobius01 wrote:
Another window
Digital pic

Mobius01 wrote:
Digital pic
Digital pic.

Mobius01 wrote:
Digital pic.
One more

.and the digital pic.

Re:Bad Windows? Bob Berry 11/7/2011
This looks like air leakage. You should verify it with a smoke pencil.

Was the building under negative pressure?

Re:Bad Windows? Mobius01 11/7/2011
Bob Berry wrote:
oks like air leakage. You should verify it with a smoke pencil.

Was the building under negative pressure?
The wind speed outside was 0 mph so no but I had good delta T to do the inspection.

This was a 40 year old house with new windows and the owner was only interested in the workmanship for windows installation.

Sorry, one other thing that I forgot to mention which concerns me the most is I specifically told the owner to remove all drapes curtains at least 2 hours prior to the inspection and the customer did not do it. So I am thinking that these areas could be simply cold because of drapes/blinds were not removed and this might not be a true picture of poor windows job.

What do you guys think?

Re:Bad Windows? Linas 11/7/2011
How was the caulking and flashing at the exterior?

Re:Bad Windows? Mobius01 11/7/2011
Linas wrote:
the caulking and flashing at the exterior?
Not very good.

Re:Bad Windows? glassman 11/13/2011
Sorry about this but being in the UK we have different window operating styles. This looks like a slide aside and as such from the images the outer seal does not look to bad.
However, if you look at the sliding sections, this is where you have the issues. I guess that the owner is complaining about drafts. Well, your images show that the seals where the moving parts are not sealing well and could do with some attention. This is mainly at the meeting points, and as such I would look to poor sealing brush. This is no uncommon and is a typical issue with slide aside windows and doors. You are never going to get a perfect seal as they are a moving part. There may be an issue with the outer frame installed in twist or certain sections not anchored correct and either bowing or distorted. A plumb rule will tell you this. Best of luck Rod Appleyard (the verifier)

Re:Bad Windows? tbclayton 12/22/2011
I have had the pleasure of scanning new windows that were in my opinion were some of the nicest constructed windows in vinyl I ave come across and was able to find areas that still allow some air infiltration and corners and where the sliders and sash lock together, both were visible before and after depressurizing with blower door. I have not found a manufacturer that has a window that completely stops infiltration, but there are some better than others, sliders are always worse because they have to have the room to move and lift out. Your are also right about the drapes they will affect the temperature signatures.

Re:Bad Windows? ScottB 12/22/2011
Actually it apppears that the reason for cooler readings are attributed to vinyl slider weather stripping between slider frames. Slider windows never have a goood seal at center pane area. If the home was to have been under negative pressure the readings would have been more dramatic.

Re:Bad Windows? glassman 12/22/2011
Very interesting pictures.and scans. This is he problem with slide asides you are never going to get a perfect seal. I understand that these windows are what we call PVCu in the UK, and you call vynal. same product different country. I note that the external temp is 5 degrees and that the internal is 21 degrees this is a situation where the window is almost at its smallest and all the gaps at their widest. If you fabricate in these temperature conditions to a tight seal, then when temps increase and the vynal expands you will not be able to open the windows as they will be jammed tight. This is the down side of not having to paint the high thermal expansion. Dark wrapped frames are the biggest movement, especially on the south side.
However there is an issue with the edge of the outer frame to wall which suggests a poor robust detail finish. The Verfier

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012