Message Board Thread - "Liability insurance"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/2/2011
I know this has been discussed here before but I can't find the thread. Can someone tell me who they have their liability insurance with? I can't find anyone to insure me because they don't know what a thermographer is or an energy auditor. I'm from PA here in the states. Thanks

Re:Liability insurance chicago infrared 12/2/2011
Hill Top TI wrote:
this has been discussed here before but I can't find the thread. Can someone tell me who they have their liability insurance with? I can't find anyone to insure me because they don't know what a thermographer is or an energy auditor. I'm from PA here in the states. Thanks
I have a $2mil GL policy with Indiana Insurance for $500/year.
http://www.theidifference.com/products/specialty_programs

Re:Liability insurance Mobius01 12/5/2011
Hill Top TI wrote:
this has been discussed here before but I can't find the thread. Can someone tell me who they have their liability insurance with? I can't find anyone to insure me because they don't know what a thermographer is or an energy auditor. I'm from PA here in the states. Thanks
OR another question would be, do you need a liability insurance or any kind of insurance for thermal inspections. I know if you are in building sciences, you dont need one. Unless, maybe you are doing commercial.

Re:Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/5/2011
If I'm required to have insurance or not is not my concern. I want liability insurance for my own comfort and to enter any ones property/house without having at least liability insurance would be very foolish in my opinion regardless of the type of inspection.

Re:Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/5/2011
chicago infrared wrote:
I have a $2mil GL policy with Indiana Insurance for $500/year.
http://www.theidifference.com/products/specialty_programs
Thank you for the link I will look into them.

Re:Liability insurance Gary Orlove 12/6/2011
Use this link to find other posts on this subject:

http://www.google.com/search?q=insurance+liability+OR+%22errors+and+omission%22+OR+E%26O+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.infraredtraining.com%2Fcommunity%2Fboards%2F&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB397US398&biw=1440&bih=665&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images

Re:Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/6/2011
Thanks Garry

Re:Liability insurance Mobius01 12/11/2011
Hill Top TI wrote:
required to have insurance or not is not my concern. I want liability insurance for my own comfort and to enter any ones property/house without having at least liability insurance would be very foolish in my opinion regardless of the type of inspection.
Oh yea, I see your pint. Who knows when you are doing a non destructive/non invasive infrared inspection in a house where your inspection results are not a deal breaker for the buyer of the house (unlike home inspections during a real estate transaction) you may trip for some random reason and fall on top of the owner's cat or your fall can cause the owner's 100 year old vase on the ground and they might sue you.

So yea, the possibilities are endless..

Re:Liability insurance Linas 12/11/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
Oh yea, I see your pint. Who knows when you are doing a non destructive/non invasive infrared inspection in a house where your inspection results are not a deal breaker for the buyer of the house (unlike home inspections during a real estate transaction) you may trip for some random reason and fall on top of the owner's cat or your fall can cause the owner's 100 year old vase on the ground and they might sue you.

So yea, the possibilities are endless..

Many Home inspector E&O policies also provide GL coverage that will cover the broken vase or other property damage incurred while performing your duties as a home inspector. Some insurance providers also cover thermal imaging during a home inspection. GL for commercial thermal imaging is a different/separate policy.

Re:Liability insurance Mobius01 12/11/2011
Linas wrote:
Many Home inspector E&O policies also provide GL coverage that will cover the broken vase or other property damage incurred while performing your duties as a home inspector. Some insurance providers also cover thermal imaging during a home inspection. GL for commercial thermal imaging is a different/separate policy.
Thats my point, my friend. What are some of the circumstances where you can justify having a GL insurance when performing residential thermal imaging?

I have been thermal imaging for quiet some time now and I have never been in a situation where I felt a need to carry GL insurance. But yes, if I was doing pre-purchase home inspections, I would not even enter a house without E&O and GL coverage.

Re:Liability insurance Linas 12/11/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
Thats my point, my friend. What are some of the circumstances where you can justify having a GL insurance when performing residential thermal imaging?

I have been thermal imaging for quiet some time now and I have never been in a situation where I felt a need to carry GL insurance. But yes, if I was doing pre-purchase home inspections, I would not even enter a house without E&O and GL coverage.

Do you have insurance on your thermal imager? I have a Marine Rider on my GL policy.

Re:Liability insurance Mobius01 12/12/2011
Linas wrote:
Do you have insurance on your thermal imager? I have a Marine Rider on my GL policy.
Not at all.

Re:Liability insurance Linas 12/12/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
Not at all.
What imager do you own? I have a friend that had his stolen out of his truck in his garage. $15,000 running down the street. Not a good feeling, I would imagine.

Re:Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/12/2011
Linas wrote:
Could you send or post a link or info of your provider please.

Hill Top TI wrote:
Could you send or post a link or info of your provider please.
http://www.indiana-ins.com/omapps/ContentServer?pagename=IndianaInsurance/Views/IndianaInsurance

Thank you.

Linas wrote:
What imager do you own? I have a friend that had his stolen out of his truck in his garage. $15,000 running down the street. Not a good feeling, I would imagine.
By "imager", I assume you are referring to the IR camera. So yeah, I have the E60bx that just came out earlier this year.

Someone stole your friend's camera out of his truck in his garage. Well, I am sorry but all i have to say is that you have to then play your cards right. If you live in the mountains of Tora Bora then you need to get all sorts of insurances/policies/protection plans on your camera. This also applies to you if you are not so careful and organized person of your belongings.

Me.. I protect my belongings all at times, I take my camera with me wherever I go. If I go to a restaurant after an inspection, I take my camera with me. I never leave my camera unattended. I never leave my camera in my car if its super cold outside (even though I know that it is not cold enough).

Just the other day, my neighbor who I have known for 4 years asked me if I can let him use my camera and he will pay me for it (rent). But i respectfully said NO and I told him that I can do a quick inspection for him free of charge but he can not use my camera.

So yeah, thats my story. Anyways, what I am still trying to figure out are the reasons why we need to have GL insurance when doing thermal inspections.

Mobius01 wrote:
By "imager", I assume you are referring to the IR camera. So yeah, I have the E60bx that just came out earlier this year.

Someone stole your friend's camera out of his truck in his garage. Well, I am sorry but all i have to say is that you have to then play your cards right. If you live in the mountains of Tora Bora then you need to get all sorts of insurances/policies/protection plans on your camera. This also applies to you if you are not so careful and organized person of your belongings.

Me.. I protect my belongings all at times, I take my camera with me wherever I go. If I go to a restaurant after an inspection, I take my camera with me. I never leave my camera unattended. I never leave my camera in my car if its super cold outside (even though I know that it is not cold enough).

Just the other day, my neighbor who I have known for 4 years asked me if I can let him use my camera and he will pay me for it (rent). But i respectfully said NO and I told him that I can do a quick inspection for him free of charge but he can not use my camera.

So yeah, thats my story. Anyways, what I am still trying to figure out are the reasons why we need to have GL insurance when doing thermal inspections.
If you do commercial infrared inspections, most companies require at least $2mil. GL before you set foot on their property. I take it you do only home inspections.

Mobius01 wrote:

Mobius, Peace of mind and in some States it's the law.
If you have a $30,000 dollar camera and don't have it insured your crazy. What happens when you drop it by accident, You pick up your case and forgot to latch it. Your not watching where your walking and miss a step or trip. I'll tell you what you have a $30,000 mistake you'll never forget.

Hill Top TI wrote:
If you have a $30,000 dollar camera and don't have it insured your crazy. What happens when you drop it by accident, You pick up your case and forgot to latch it. Your not watching where your walking and miss a step or trip. I'll tell you what you have a $30,000 mistake you'll never forget.
Hey Hill Top,
Mobius was asking for images back in May before he bought his imager. He's still learning.

Hill Top TI wrote:
Yes, if you have a $30k camera then you should have insurance, thanks for stating the obvious. BTW, expensive is not always better or the right fit for your business.

Oh yes, try dropping your camera by accident and your insurance company is going to have a check ready for you. Hope it was that easy.

Linas wrote:
Hey Hill Top,
Mobius was asking for images back in May before he bought his imager. He's still learning.
You will be surprised how far I have gotten.

You go ahead and keep trying to bring up old stuff to bash others but I have a dream to follow.

Re:Liability insurance Hill Top TI 12/13/2011
Mobius01 wrote:
Yes, if you have a $30k camera then you should have insurance, thanks for stating the obvious. BTW, expensive is not always better or the right fit for your business.

Oh yes, try dropping your camera by accident and your insurance company is going to have a check ready for you. Hope it was that easy.
I was just trying to get my point across about the Liability ins. and having protection on my camera.
If anyone should be annoyed it should be me because I was asking for help on this board and you hijacked my thread! If you have questions start your own thread!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012