Message Board Thread - "Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency TGS 1/31/2012
I have been assigned the task of researching industry sources and/or experience for recommended frequency of conducting IR casing scans on steam generating boilers in power plants. For cyclically operated units I would be interested to learn if anyone is using a time in operation x unit load factor calculation as a cumulative basis for scan frequency? Any input appreciated

Re:Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency Bob Berry 2/2/2012
I just use frequency based, but am very interested in whatever you find out.

Re:Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency TGS 2/2/2012
Thanks Bob. Can you share at what frequency you scan and what is the basis of recurrance, i.e. arbitrary, experience, institute or industry standard, etc?

Re:Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency Bob Berry 2/3/2012
TGS wrote:
Bob. Can you share at what frequency you scan and what is the basis of recurrance, i.e. arbitrary, experience, institute or industry standard, etc?
Annually, with an additional inspection just before a maintainence shutdown, and another just after a maintainence shutdown. The frequency is increased where findings justify it.

Re:Fossil Fuel Boiler Casing IR Scan Frequency PDMJo 2/15/2012
TGS wrote:
been assigned the task of researching industry sources and/or experience for recommended frequency of conducting IR casing scans on steam generating boilers in power plants. For cyclically operated units I would be interested to learn if anyone is using a time in operation x unit load factor calculation as a cumulative basis for scan frequency? Any input appreciated
TGS,
Our organization operates cyclical units from just under 100MW up to 380MW. The frequency we have adopted relates to if the unit is balanced draft or pressurized. The balanced draft units are semi-annual. The pressurized units are quarterly. You may consider scanning your forced draft and or primary air ductwork at a similar interval, concentrating on areas where cable trays and expansion joints intersect.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012