Message Board Thread - "Metal roof on house......."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Metal roof on house....... gogreen 2/15/2012
Had a client book me for a thermal on a leaking metal roof with a normal house pitch. No access into it anywhere. The roof leaks in heavy rains, so the client is going to use a garden hose to simulate the rain. My question is, How do I trace the leaking water back to the origin without access to the attic?

Re:Metal roof on house....... glassman 2/16/2012
You only have one option and that is to guess.
Must get into attic even if it only the camera and remotly operating it. Best of luck.

Re:Metal roof on house....... gogreen 2/16/2012
I was also thinking about the solar heating of the damp wood under the metal roofing, and wondering if it would radiate through the metal after sun down?

Re:Metal roof on house....... chicago infrared 3/8/2012
gogreen wrote:
lso thinking about the solar heating of the damp wood under the metal roofing, and wondering if it would radiate through the metal after sun down?
It wouldn't hurt to have a look at it after a good day of solar loading.

Re:Metal roof on house....... Edo Modun 3/9/2012
gogreen wrote:
lient book me for a thermal on a leaking metal roof with a normal house pitch. No access into it anywhere. The roof leaks in heavy rains, so the client is going to use a garden hose to simulate the rain. My question is, How do I trace the leaking water back to the origin without access to the attic?
HI!
You have to check if metal roof is just single skin or there is some insulation (sandwich or panel).
If there is some higroscope insulation (mineral wool or similar) than insulation would be wet (sometimes only on circular spots). In some cases You cannot dry it and have to change complete roof/insulation (it's a problem like with flat roofs).
One other important thing is to know if whole slope is covered in just one piece or in several small pieces. Also angle of the slope is important.
Check ridges and joints. Usually there are many problems hidden there. And fixings.
Contact me freely on edo.modun@gmail.com
as I sell similar materials.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012