Message Board Thread - "FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed)"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) quarkzoo 3/17/2012
Hello,
I have a FLIR E45, which has had issues after warranty expired. The problem is that after camera finishes booting up I can only use the menu button for about 15-20 seconds to make any changes, and will lock up after that point. If I can make the changes and exit menu before it locks up, the camera will work perfect, as long as I do not press menu, or try to save picture to memory. If I do, the camera completely locks up, and can only be operated when I hold don pwr button for a few seconds, and restart camera. Is this a problem with firmware, or possibly ram failure?
I have seen a couple of other threads a while back having a similar problems with their FLIR E45 cameras. But it does not seem to be a common issue, as I have looked EVERYWHERE on the web for any information , and have found very little. Any help would be so greatly appreciated, as I can not afford to just purchase another camera. .
Thank you

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) Christiane 3/19/2012
Hello,

take a look on the support site, maybe there is already an answer to this, http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/list . Or log in and ask the question.

Good luck

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) chicago infrared 3/19/2012
Christiane wrote:

take a look on the support site, maybe there is already an answer to this, http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/list . Or log in and ask the question.

Good luck
Submit a ticket at the support site. They answer within 24 hours of your request.

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) happydays 3/19/2012
chicago infrared wrote:
Submit a ticket at the support site. They answer within 24 hours of your request.
Never had an answer in 24 hours, more like 3-4 days

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) chicago infrared 3/20/2012
happydays wrote:
Never had an answer in 24 hours, more like 3-4 days
I've never had to wait any more than 24 hours, it was usually less. You can give them a call and talk to a tech to see if they can diagnose the problem on the phone. If they can't, it will have to be sent to the shop.

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) quarkzoo 3/20/2012
Hello,
Thank you for your responses. From what I understand, the E45, is having a problem/conflict between detector and firmware, I personally know that they have known about this issue, and have to replace/switch a part which has more ram, and that clears up the issue, and actually make camera functional, and perform much better. I spoke to tech support, and they say they do not know of this issue, and it really surprises me they told me this, as I have info which clearly shows otherwise. They quoted me 1700.00 to get camera repaired, as it is out of warranty. I understand it is out of warranty, but this is a problem on their end,and I just had the bad luck of buying this model camera. I love FLIR, and respect them very much, and I am not in any way trying to make any waves. I just wish they would do whats right here. If anyone has any repair experience, or ideas, let me know. I work for a company who does component level repairs on laptop motherboards, so any technical info, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for reading this post.

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) LFM???? 4/19/2012
quarkzoo wrote:

Thank you for your responses. From what I understand, the E45, is having a problem/conflict between detector and firmware, I personally know that they have known about this issue, and have to replace/switch a part which has more ram, and that clears up the issue, and actually make camera functional, and perform much better. I spoke to tech support, and they say they do not know of this issue, and it really surprises me they told me this, as I have info which clearly shows otherwise. They quoted me 1700.00 to get camera repaired, as it is out of warranty. I understand it is out of warranty, but this is a problem on their end,and I just had the bad luck of buying this model camera. I love FLIR, and respect them very much, and I am not in any way trying to make any waves. I just wish they would do whats right here. If anyone has any repair experience, or ideas, let me know. I work for a company who does component level repairs on laptop motherboards, so any technical info, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for reading this post.
I have been having problems also but with my E60. Ever since the update I have had problems with the computer recognizing the memory card and wifi not turning on until you remove the battery from the camera and put it back in. It does lock up every once in a while too.

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) EDAZ 4/19/2012
Interesting how a RAM related problem comes around about the time a warranty expires. These kids of things irritate the hell out of me and I think you SHOULD make waves until the issue is resolved.

Re:FLIR Thermacam E45 problem (freezes/locking when menu button is pressed) quarkzoo 5/2/2012
I have spoke to a few people who are all having the same problem, with E25, E45, and Bcam. Its obviously a "FLIR" problem, and will not even acknowledge the issue. They want me to pay 1700.00 for a whole new board, because they do not even have techs who repair on a component level, so I have to fork over 1700.00 for a whole new board, instead of having a $5.00 defective component replaced. This could happen to anybody, so just remember that Flir will not help you if your warranty is up, even if it is a factory problem. They will charge you as much as they can for a enti.re pcb board, instead of just correcting actual problem which would cost practically nothing but a few dollars. They do not even provide any info, or schematics to repair yourself. I have purchased a camera from FLUKE, and I could not be happier. The build quality alone makes the Thermacam e45 seem like a toy. I am a component/chip level technician, and will be making a schematic, for the E45, taking high resolution pictures of the entire camera, boards, detector, everything, and sharing with everyone, so people can have a chance to fix their faulty Thermacam. I will also be updating everyone on the exact cause of this issue. keep

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012