Message Board Thread - "Compressed Air leak"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Compressed Air leak Agustin Karsaclian 4/16/2012
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone of you have tried locating compressed air leaks.

I think that as there is a loss in pressure, there should be a change in temperature, but maybe as the volume also changes the temperature does not change. If temperature changed we could detect leaks with thermography.

Does anyone have any experience in this subject?

Thanks

Re:Compressed Air leak IRJay 4/16/2012
I have perfromed compressed air leak surveys. Thermography is not the prime tool for this work as ultrasonics can be very useful. The escaping air will generally show up as a cool spot but as with all thermography there is exceptions. Temperature of the air plus the line of sight issues plus the air volume in each case it can be a challenge. But, I have saved many companies many thousands of dollars.

Re:Compressed Air leak Agustin Karsaclian 4/16/2012
IRJay wrote:
perfromed compressed air leak surveys. Thermography is not the prime tool for this work as ultrasonics can be very useful. The escaping air will generally show up as a cool spot but as with all thermography there is exceptions. Temperature of the air plus the line of sight issues plus the air volume in each case it can be a challenge. But, I have saved many companies many thousands of dollars.
Thanks! A Very useful answer! That was what I thought but I never tried so I needed to be sure.

Re:Compressed Air leak Dave 5/10/2012
Well, I have found a freon leak. Not exactly compressed air, but sort of the same principle. I was checking refrigeration compressor units and noticed a small wisp escaping from a joint... it resembled that of cigarette smoke. It was not easily visible and I was surprised I caught it. So in principle, I would say if the leak was bad enough, you should see a similar wisp as the escaping air would be cooler than the surrounding area.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012