Message Board Thread - "Thermal Criteria for Motor Temperatures "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Thermal Criteria for Motor Temperatures Gary Orlove 6/21/2000
Is there is a guideline for motor temps. in relation to HP and Amp. readings or is there a global flagging temp. at which some action should be taken. These are prim. motors in several large paper mills I work for and range from 50-1500 HP. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sincerely, Frank DeWinter fgvdew@aol.com

RE:Thermal Criteria for Motor Temperatures Gary Orlove 6/21/2000
When I base lined the large motors (>1000 HP, 4160 volt) at Beaver Valley Power Station, I took and saved an image of each side. Also, the conditions of the room or outdoors were recorded. Manufacturers use a maximum operating temperature and then recommend not exceeding that value. If a baseline temperature could be compared to another machine of the same manufacturer in the same area, and that temperature was higher, other technologies (vibration, ultrasound, and oil sampling) would be used to help pinpoint the anomaly. Load on the motor was always recorded, as well as scanning the motor breaker compartment. I never used a specific temperature change to tell when a motor had a problem. There were too many variables to consider before making a call on whether a motor was bad or good.

Joe DeMonte itc Thermography Course Instructor

Re:Thermal Criteria for Motor Temperatures manuel-thermoimagen 5/3/2009
Gary Orlove wrote:
base lined the large motors (>1000 HP, 4160 volt) at Beaver Valley Power Station, I took and saved an image of each side. Also, the conditions of the room or outdoors were recorded. Manufacturers use a maximum operating temperature and then recommend not exceeding that value. If a baseline temperature could be compared to another machine of the same manufacturer in the same area, and that temperature was higher, other technologies (vibration, ultrasound, and oil sampling) would be used to help pinpoint the anomaly. Load on the motor was always recorded, as well as scanning the motor breaker compartment. I never used a specific temperature change to tell when a motor had a problem. There were too many variables to consider before making a call on whether a motor was bad or good.

Joe DeMonte itc Thermography Course Instructor
some time has been passed from this post.
would like to know if there are some Update at this topic.. are new info released?..new infrared scans techniques?..

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012