Message Board Thread - "Wall studs"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Wall studs Thermal Guy 10/13/2004
Hi folks how are you?

My question deals with moisture detection in wall studs. The situation is rain enters the building through the roof and saturates the wall. The tricky part is by time I get to the house three months have passed the walls look dry but the studs look soaked. What is going on?

Re:Wall studs chukster54 10/16/2004
I recently had a similar case where the hvac condensate overflowed and soaked the ceiling and adjoining wall. After imaging the situation I then used my PROTIMETER moisture meter to then find the outline of the moisture areas by applying painters tape to the area and of course hte areas matched the IR imaged areas and the insurance company was speechless. My point is to back up your inspection with another technology as in this case was a resonably priced moisture meter and painters tape.The attached image is of the wall that shows the cooled moisture area.

Chuck Shepherd
Building Science Technologies, inc.
Bailey, Miss.

Re:Wall studs I R We Dry 11/8/2004
Hello there.

If you are getting a cooler reading from the studs that should be checked with a traditional moisture meter. However, usually studs will have a cooler reading then the dry wall. This is because it has a cooler reading. I hope this helps. Just remember, don't throw away your traditional moisture meter. There are many times you will get a funky reading.

Re:Brick Wall Ties Howzie 9/29/2005
Has anyone used thermal imaging to locate the position of galavized wall ties,(these are in the cavity wall) scanning from the outside of the building.
Regards
Howzie

Re:Wall studs jvoitl 9/29/2005
Not enough info. Is this an interior view of the wall? If the sun is hitting the other side and the wall is not well insulated, or even without the sun if it is just very hot outside, the studs will conduct the heat through the wall slower than the uninulated space between them making the studs look cooler. If the other side is cold and the wall well insulated, the studs will again look cooler than the insulated wall as the heat from inside can transfer out through them faster than though the insulation. If this is an outside shot the studs will again transfer heat at a faster rate than an insulated wall and slower than a non insulated wall.

Re:Wall studs thermoman 11/17/2005
The last contributor I believe is mistaken, the thermal resistance value of wood studs are lower than than of uninsulated or insulated stud space between them. Thus they will conduct heat more. Now when dealing with the capacitance of the material to store heat, wood is denser thus will store more heat than insulation or air space. But it will not store more heat than wet insulation since wet insulation will generally be able to hold more water by volume.

The issue to resolve before determining the cause of the thermal anomalies is what the heat flow conditions are during the time of inspection and prior to the inspection. That is why ISO 6781 states that the conditions of the inspection should be stated in any report.

Once you know the site inspection conditions, then you need to assess the drying capacity of the wall assembly. If it cannot dry out out due to wall design or adverse interior and exterior environmental consitions, then the residual moisture may still reside within the wall assembly, but if there a drying potential then other possible causes of the thermal anomalies should be explored.

"If you don't know enough to ask the right questions, the likelyhood of finding the right answer is severely diminished."

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012