Message Board Thread - "Thermography for Energy Efficiency"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Thermography for Energy Efficiency mrfixit 10/16/2004
With the current high price of energy, it seems that thermal imaging of home envelopes and duct systems might be a reasonable expansion of my building repair and maintenance company. I have no idea where to start, beyond surfing the web and finding this great forum. I would greatly appreciate any information on required equipment, costs, pricing, marketing, etc. As well, if you can share the common mistakes made by contractors entering this specialized area, I'm all ears. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency IRJay 10/18/2004
Find the area FLIR sales rep and attend one of the one day infra forums they put on. They can explain the cameras and show you some examples. Or attend one of the regional certification classes which can also help you determine the camera to use. All these classes and sales people are available on the website of FLIR and ITC.

Building shell efficency and energy savings plus the ability to find moisture problems is a plus for any maintenance contractor. Buying a camera outright can be done easily for under 25K, add 2k for proper training. Lease or rent the camera for a better cash flow position if unsure of your marketing strategy.

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency mrfixit 10/21/2004
That's a hefty price tag for an add-on service for homeowners and small business owners! Cruising the suppliers, I thought I saw cameras under $10K, and thought I might find a used unit in the $5K range. Am I being unrealistic? How much can I charge for thermal images of a home? The homeowner needs to see a payoff for the diagnostics and remedial work within 5 years or so. Any other ideas or comments? Thanks!

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency Ron Cooper 10/31/2004
I was able to use the camera we have at work, after taking a level 1 course. After scanning my own home both outside for heat loss and inside for cold infiltration, I was very surprised as to where I was losing money. I set out to correct the problems that I was able to, this included sealing around leaking window frames, using better vapour barrier in the basement and sealing it were it had not been done before. Over the next winter I would say we saved about $500.00 one our heating bill. If this is any indication as to the savings that can be gotten I would think most homeowners would want to know about even if it cost them a few hundred to get the survey done.

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency micjk 11/2/2004
mrfixit,
be careful with the lower priced imagers. some of them are "worthless to say the least. being a small buisness owner rental might be the way for you to go, as irjay mentioned until you can get the clientele built up. There are several companies that also offer lease programs. I really can't comment on scan pricing but do know that if you have the clients a camera can and will pay for itself with no problem in the time span you mentioned if not sooner. home IR scan is becoming big buisness. as an example I took ITC's level 1 course back in february, part of the exam is a field project. I took our Flir e2 home and scanned the walls in my too expensive mobile home to find 15 spots with NO insulation in the walls. One of which was 15" wide from floor to ceiling. I am currently trying to contact the manufacturer to pressure them into fixing this problem.

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency micjk 11/2/2004
sorry tried to post image but didn't come through. will try again

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency Bob Kulakowski 7/23/2006
I also added this to my home inspection business and stand-alone service. Depending on your market, I think you can expect $250 for up to 3k sq, ft. home. I am having no problem in CT with noth of that price. Fuel oil prices are projected at north of $2.50 a gallon with fuel oil dealers looking to make 200 gallon deliveries. 200 x $2.50, do the math. If you can possihly save 10-20% or more the inspection will pay for itself in the first heating season (realy the first couple of tanks).

I also am a small business and the cost of the cameras was keeping me out of the business. The BCAM is priced for entry level. It does not have bells & whistles. It will make you money. I am looking at an 18 month payback.

It can be done. Just look at your demographic, price accordingly, network, and advertise. You'll be suprized.

Bob

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency irtom 7/24/2006
Bob:
You can get two, three or four times that much for surveying houses! Check out this site for additional info:
www.buildscanir.com
Good luck,
IRTom

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency scanIRjim 8/9/2006
Tom,

I believe you can get more than what Bob has stated, but 3 to 4 times!? I believe that is a stretch. The way to price it is, I believe, is a base price and then add in the homes size. Or simply just by the size of the home. Bigger home, more money. This formula works very well in my business, home inspection.

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency Bob Kulakowski 8/16/2006
Thanks, I agree I can get more depending on demographics. I also have to have a reasonable pay-back period. over 2 years will price the service out of the market.

I am a home isnpector by trade and do charge by the square foot. That works for me as well.

Long and short is do your reasearch, test market your service, adjust your pricing up or down, advertise.. you'll make money with this tool.

Bob

Re:Thermography for Energy Efficiency eubie 12/3/2006
Bob Kulakowski wrote:
I agree I can get more depending on demographics. I also have to have a reasonable pay-back period. over 2 years will price the service out of the market.

I am a home isnpector by trade and do charge by the square foot. That works for me as well.

Long and short is do your reasearch, test market your service, adjust your pricing up or down, advertise.. you'll make money with this tool.

Bob
What would be an appropiate per sq-foot for energy auditing?
Thanks

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012