Message Board Thread - "Failing Motors"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Failing Motors limo2088 10/19/2004
Anyone have any pictures of a failing motor(s)?
Thanks in advance

Re:Failing Motors Manuel 10/19/2004
hi,

this picture show you some problem at shaft end, maybe bearings, or lube problem, with this image is difficult to determine, is just for let you know that something has to be investigated.

regards

roberto cruz
thermoimagen

the next image, show you two motor frames, same capacity running at same time.

you will note that one is hotter than the other one, amps readings should be taken and compare to nameplate information. something to think to discover whats happening there .

regards

roberto cruz
thermoimagen

in this image, lube problem starts to heat up the retaining ring.

regards
roberto cruz

at this image, missaligment problem shows coppling thermal diferences

saludos
roberto cruz
thermoimagen

here you will note a problem at one pillow block on blower system

saludos.
roberto cruz

image with motor and pump, with some problem at pump.

saludos
roberto cruz
thermoimagen

Re:Failing Motors Manuel 10/20/2004
read this page too..

http://www.maintenanceresources.com/ReferenceLibrary/InfraredThermography/therm2.htm

good luck..

roberto cruz
thermoimagen

Re:Failing Motors electricpete 10/25/2004
Great images Roberto.

I was interested to see the one labeled "coupling differences". This looks like a Rexnord omega coupling (orange tire type). I have seen photo's published where flexible coupling runs equally hot on both sides with heat apparently generated by flexible elements, presumably flexing under misalignment. In this case the side closer to the motor runs hotter. And the hottest part of the picture is the motor shaft extension. Makes me wonder if heat is coming from the bearing or maybe the motor rotor/shaft.

Re:Failing Motors Sabrina 3/8/2005
Hi!

I just joined this forum and came across your pictures on motors.
I've recently taken some IR images of motors and pumps too but it doesn't seems very obvious on the difference in the temperature gradient. Hence, I can't analyze it or even figure out whether it is defective.

Can you explain how to get such a clear picture on the motors that were posted on the web and how do you relate it to it's failures?

I've read the website by snellinfrared which has very good explanation but as there are no IR images to relate to each possible defect, I'm unsure how to go about with the analysis.

Re:Failing Motors Manuel 3/12/2005
hi sabrina,

to take good images, just remembers Flir's FoRD (Focus, Range, Distance).

Focus will give you sharp image.
Range will help on close hi/lo temp limits (then you can close the limits little bit with you reporter software.
Distance, (the closes the distance, the great the image, but remember the safety issues).

the Flying hours of thermography survey will fine tuning your comun sense when something is not right.

regards
roberto cruz
thermoimagen.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012