Message Board Thread - "HEAT DETECTION UNDERWATER"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
HEAT DETECTION UNDERWATER ArguelloF 12/1/2003

I am trying to determine if the heat of a human body or of a motor engine located underwater could be detected or visualized using infrared sensors or cameras, and whether the sensors or camera can be located several feet away from the heat source, e. g, 2 to 10 feet away. If the answer is yes, do the sensors/camera need to be underwater too? or airborne detection is also possible?

Thank you for your considerations.
Frank

Not likely----but: JKEngineer 12/2/2003
IR will not travel far through water, so you will not see the hot objects directly.

However: if the object is large relative to the depth, and hot enough, and the water is calm enough, you might see a convection cell bringing the heat to the surface and thereby affecting the surface temperature, which you could then sense. This is not seeing the object, it is seeing the warmed water at the surface caused by the object. A combined CFD (computational fluid dynamics) and heat transfer calculation could provide estimates of the results to expect.

I would be willing to discuss this further.

Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

4011 Hillman Ave
Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:HEAT DETECTION UNDERWATER Forked 7/17/2004
I am interested in any relatively inexpensive ways to detect a human in a room. I was thinking along the lines of infrared, but any ideas would be helpful....

blues3456@hotmail.com
thanks

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012