Message Board Thread - "Medical Research - Imaging the Brain"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Medical Research - Imaging the Brain james ster 12/5/2003
I have been asked by a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Queen's University Belfast
is it possible to perform thermal imaging of the human brain?

Any thoughts???

Imaging the brain Gary Orlove 12/5/2003
It is possible to thermally image the brain. However, thermal imaging is a non invasive technique, in other words, the IR imaging cameras only receive thermal energy naturally emitted by surfaces due to their temperature.

Notice I said surfaces, as there are not many materials that are transparent to infrared energy in the wavelength regions used for thermal imaging. So in most cases, the thermal patterns must be conducted to the surface under investigation from the source of the thermal energy.

In the case of the brain, since we have the complications of the skull and the blood vessels transporting blood (and heat), we must expose the brain for direct observation by the infrared camera.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Imaging the brain... PIOTR 1/14/2004
In 1992 (!) I noted for my files: that the Biophysics Group at Los Alamos Nat. Lab. In New Mexico – John George PhD at others- used AMBER FPA camera to check does neural activity in a monkey’s brain produce measurable in the thermal pattern on the surface to see thermal evoked responses. They used 10mA stimulations to monkey’s wrist or the ankle (i.e. level, probably, accepted by the people…) observing the temperature changes range between 10—40 millideg K. To discriminate these small differences i.e. obtain high S/N ratio, they applied 217 images per sec. acquisition and averaging techniques and they recorded images before stimulation and applied subtracting the average pre-stimulus image from each post-stimulus frame.

2. Based on my files I found also lastly edited paper, as follows:
Al-Alousi LM, Anderson RA, Worster DM, Land DV. Factors influencing the precision of estimating the postmortem interval using the triple-exponential formulae (TEF). Part I. A study of the effect of body variables and covering of the torso on the postmortem brain, liver and rectal cooling rates in 117 forensic cases. Forensic Sci Int 2002, 125(2-3): 223-30.

XXX Sorry for being unable to help you more...

Re:Medical Research - Imaging the Brain lizi: action of the brain 10/22/2006
Did you know that the brain does actions call, involuntary actions they are actions that you don't notice; like breathing, or when someone claps in front of your eyes you immidiatly close your eyes, they are control by the nervous system , the nervous system send messages to the brain and the brain respond, that makes an involuntary action.

Re:Medical Research - Imaging the Brain Eduardo 11/2/2006
Did you know that (information about the involuntary movements “The Student”)… The nerve impulses in the neurons that control these reflexes travel an express route. The fastest impulses reach 520 kilometers (320 miles) per hour!
Interneurons send messages between nerve cells within the brain, spinal cord, and the periphery. These busy characters make up over 99 percent of the more than 10 billion neurons in our nervous system.
Reflexes serve as primitive responses that protect our bodies from danger and help us adjust to our surroundings.

Re:Medical Research - Imaging the Brain Panda_Ca 5/1/2008
It IS possible to perform thermal" target="_blank">http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/thermal_brain_imaging.html">thermal brain imaging on the brain. With some technology borrowed from NASA since you posted doctors are now performing these sorts of non-invasive scans on the brain. They can tell where in the brain is activity occurring or maybe more significantly where it is NOT occuring.

Re:Medical Research - Imaging the Brain Panda_Ca 5/1/2008
Panda_Ca wrote:
ossible to perform thermal" target="_blank">http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/thermal_brain_imaging.html">thermal brain imaging on the brain. With some technology borrowed from NASA since you posted doctors are now performing these sorts of non-invasive scans on the brain. They can tell where in the brain is activity occurring or maybe more significantly where it is NOT occuring.
That link should go to www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/thermal_brain_imaging.html

Re:Medical Research - Imaging the Brain IR Judy 5/14/2008
I had the grand opportunity to do some thermal imaging of a womens skull who was having eyesight probelsm in only one eye. She was frightened by the thought of undetected tumors and this is what we saw with a FLIR P-65. Please note I am a certified medical Thermal Imaging Technician with IACT and also a level II thermographer. Enjoy**

Here is another very interesting image of the skull

And one more lateral view for interested medical thermographers :)

Comments?

I'm sorry - one more becuase it is so interesting and all sides should be viewed....Judy

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012