Message Board Thread - "qualifications"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
qualifications newguy 3/6/2005
ok, for someone who has never been around ir thermography, what kind of qualifications are we looking at?? what about color blindness?? what about other problems??

Re:qualifications Doctir bob 3/7/2005
Thermographers:
• Are naturally curious while maintaining a systematic approach to getting things done.
• Know as much about what they are looking at as what they are looking at it with. That is, you must be familiar with the technology of your targets and their failure modes as well as understanding infrared thermography.
• Have sufficient technical expertise to grasp basic IR theory, fundamentals of heat transfer, IR camera and computer software operation. Typing skills are a real plus.
• Have at least Level I IR training and certification and support from a higher level thermographer, or a Level II or higher when performing IR surveys. Individual companies should have a written practice that gives the requirements for company certification and roles and responsibilities at each thermographer certification level. Usually, they require a training certification plus on the job experience as part of their company certification.
• Stay current with applications and IR technology by attending IR conferences and continuing their training.
• Should not be color blind according to the ASNT guidelines. But black-and-white or monochrome palettes are great for viewing and interpreting thermographic images. I have known at least one color-blind thermographer who is quite good at his craft.

Re:qualifications Michael 3/30/2005
I have been in the Petro-Chemical Inspection Industry for over 10 years. I have ASNT Level II cert's in MT, PT, UT (L), RT and IR; as well as API 510, 653, and 570. I am about as color blind as it gets- on the Ishihara, I get one card correct (the number 12- I believe). This has only become an issue once in my career. CuSO4 testing carbon steel basemetal/ alloy clad. I cannot see the "pink" color that is produced from this chemical reaction.
Other than that one limited area, I have yet to be hindered by my vision. I have found that in most cases, color is of little concern. What is important is shades/ tints and being able to distinguish or at least identify a difference between deposits, materials, or surface conditions.
Infrared inspection is the ultimate tool for the color blind. Think about it- you get to pick and choose the palette of the world in which you live.

Know the enemy and know yourself, and you can fight a hundred battles with no danger of defeat.
Sun-Tzu

Re:qualifications newguy 3/30/2005
just wanted to thank you for your input. Looks like I came to the right place for answers.

Re:qualifications Coen T Service Netherlands 4/11/2005
coulor blind, no problem. Thermography has nothing to do with colours. it's a matter of colder and warmer and not of red white or blue. It doesn't mind what you see, aslong as you the difference. Greatings from Holland

PS. Be carefull with reports, non colour blind may interper the thermogram on first instance different. So let a non couler blind check the colour palette you're using.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012