Message Board Thread - "SCR's"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
SCR's Babu 3/15/2005
I recently happened to Thermogarphy to SCR Boards and to my surprise I found some hot spots showing high temperatures on the Relays and even from the metal behind the relays and how do I read the images

Re:SCR's Brandon 3/17/2005
It's been my experience that using IR on electronics is best done in conjunction with other tests for an accurate diagnosis. Once you've discovered a possible problem, you should be prepared to test by other means. If you're dealing with a motor drive, SCRs in contrast to other drive components can and should appear warm, depending on the drive's operating conditions. If you have access to an oscilloscope, and are trained to use it, you should check their operation to make sure they are firing correctly. An open SCR should appear as ambient temperature and may not necessarily cause the drive to fail. This shouldn't be the case here. Feel free to email me @ brandon.bush@sealedair.com for more information or clarification.

Re:SCR's Greg at Stockton IR 3/22/2005
Babu:

To answer your question, you read them (SCRs) just like any other electrical device. You see all the heat, know what's normal and report the abnormal. How much time and money you spend on finding and analyzing problems depends on the criticality of a given system that you are inspecting.

Case in point…our CompuScanIR™ division thermographers perform IR surveys on UPS systems, ATS, computer, server, generator, battery and cooling systems (mostly for banks') computer centers. We see plenty of problems with there devices, including SCRs, but the equipment [read expensive] is so critical, that any problem found by ANY technology, is downtime [read extremely expensive] saved. Look up 'paranoid about switchgear failures' in the dictionary and there is a computer center’s facility manager standing next to a PDU.

Look at the 5th and 6th slide on the page from the link below and you will see an SCR about to blow… http://www.compuscanir.com/report.htm

Greg S.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012