Message Board Thread - "PM 290 Battery Issue"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
PM 290 Battery Issue Bandit 3/23/2005
Like others we have had problems with batteries charging and holding a charge with the PM 290. We are looking into purchasing a battery belt pack. My thought is to go with the 12V system and step down via the cigarette adapter. Before I spend $400-$500 dollars I would appreciate any advice or recommendations. Our shoots' last anywhere between 3 and 7 hours.

Re:PM 290 Battery Issue Manuel 3/23/2005
hi bandit,
welcome to the group of pm290 battery issues;

check this post:
http://www.infraredtraining.com/community/boards/thread/904/

it is at espanol, but basically says that you can go to ebay.com and make a search for "sony np98" or "sony np 68". be sure that batteries are rated at least 4200mah.

regards and good luck.

Re:PM 290 Battery Issue deaton 3/24/2005
I have a battery belt and have found it to be very uncomfortable. I have ordered the 12v vest from NRG. I don't have it yet so I can't make a reccomendation.

Re:PM 290 Battery Issue TDLIR 3/24/2005
I have been using battery belts for years with my PM280 (same as 290). Those small sony camcorder batteries just dont cut it for me!

Heres what you need:

If you are looking at approx 6 hours of constant use then the BESCOR PRB9 ($99.00)is what you want. It consists of 1 12V Rechargeable sealed battery along with the Female cigarette lighter socket.

http://www.bescor.com/

(Note that you will have to get the 12/24V DC car adapter from FLIR or SONY or any other supplier to fit your camera)

If you are looking at longer battery life, then you will have to go with a 2 battery system. But that is just more weight.

You can always after buy more 12V batteries at lower cost at any hardware store and interchange them from your bescore pouch.

Hope this Helps.

Regards,
Sonny James
www.tdlir.homestead.com

Re:PM 290 Battery Issue Bandit 3/28/2005
"If you are looking at approx 6 hours of constant use then the BESCOR PRB9 ($99.00)is what you want. It consists of 1 12V Rechargeable sealed battery along with the Female cigarette lighter socket."

Thanks Sonny...I went ahead and got the PRB12 w/2 batteries. Did a search and found it for $88 w/charger. We have never been able to get more than 45 minutes out of the FLIR or Sony batteries and most of the time not nearly that much. We have been charging and lugging 8-9 batteries around when we did a shoot. If we could just get 5-6 hours out of the belt I would be extremely satisfied.

thanks again,
Bandit

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012