Message Board Thread - "Salary for Thermographers"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Salary for Thermographers Dan. M 3/24/2005
I''m at an impasse with my current employer''s H.R. dept. One of the issues that I''m facing as I try to
justify the need for a full time staff thermographer is the salary range for a Level 2 & Level 3 certified thermographer. I have spent countless hours surfing the internet looking for salary surveys but find next to nothing regarding our field. Does anyone know of a reputable resource to gather this info? Unfortunately, "word of mouth" info from fellow thermographers on what they make will not suffice. Any guidance I may receive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re:Salary for Thermographers pktsgt 3/24/2005
This would be a nice report to have published. For I work for a comapany that has not paid me one bit for my Thermography experience since my main work title is Electrician. I hold a level III.

Re:Salary for Thermographers Dan. M 3/24/2005
I completely empathize with you. I'm in the same boat you are. I have created a program where there wasn't one but it seems to go unrecognized. Good luck. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Best regards, Dan M.

Re:Salary for Thermographers George 3/28/2005
I would also be interested in this information, as I have been doing thermography, with no increase in pay.

Re:Salary for Thermographers Dan. M 3/29/2005
To PKSTG & George, I did receive some helpful info from another site which I'll relay to you. First, try doing job searches using NDT inspector as your search term. Some sites will give you some general results. Another means is to check out this link: http://www.pqndt.com/surveyresults2004.pdf

This does help get you in the "ball park" for salary ranges by region.

Re:Salary for Thermographers socaljim 4/8/2005
I have been doing this for three years now. I am certified level 1 in vibration analysis and level 2 in thermography. I started the programs where none existed and am the only one doing this in the plant. My documented savings to the division in cost avoidance has averaged over $70,000 a month for the last two years. I'm still machinist and locked in to that wage scale. I have hit the top of that scale and that means no more pay raises. When others get an increase, I get a "lump sum" payout that does nothing but confirm that I will be making no more money this year than last year. If somebody finds an answer for this, I'm real interested. Thanks, jim.

Re:Salary for Thermographers fresno 8/18/2005
Im fairly new in this field, however I would go about a different approach when trying to decide and project your net worth to people who think they know better.
If its not already too late ask the question, how much does this company loose a year in idled labor due to mechanical failure. Make sure you include wages, worksman comp, new parts, lost production, and customer walk-outs. Then ask for a percentage of the money you will save them or your salary which ever is more.

Re:Salary for Thermographers Manuel 8/18/2005
FreNso..

with your approach Never will get a jov agaiNst those 800-l000 usd/day thermograpers.

regards

Re:Salary for Thermographers what? 8/31/2005
ASNT has a survey published in its members only section. It doesn't specifically address IR salaries, but it looks at NDT salaries, levels 1 through 3. While outwardly and admitedly unscientific (by ASNT) you may find the results helpful.

The majority of respondents were self-described Level 2 (27%). The majority claimed to earn salaries between $40,000 and $60,000 (25%; NDT Level 3 were 25%). 57% of those responding have worked in their field for over 13 years.

The way the questions were arranged and asked seemed awkward. They promised a qualitative study for 2004, so maybe the results will be published sometime soon.

Re:Salary for Thermographers what? 8/31/2005
Sorry folks, ignore previous and see this instead:

ASNT has a survey published in its members only section. It doesn't specifically address IR salaries, but it looks at NDT salaries, levels 1 through 3. While outwardly and admitedly unscientific (by ASNT) you may find the results helpful.

The majority of respondents were self-described Level 2 (27%; NDT Level 3 were 25%). The majority claimed to earn salaries between $40,000 and $60,000 (25%). 57% of those responding have worked in their field for over 13 years.

The way the questions were arranged and asked seemed awkward. They promised a qualitative study for 2004, so maybe the results will be published sometime soon.

Re:Salary for Thermographers dipper 5/17/2007
I do IR and vibration. I was hired in at 35,000
I had no cert's or training it was all OJT.
So for level I IR I would say they should make around $ 35-40. Level II vibration with 5-10 yrs should make aroud 50-65.
That is what our office pays....

Re:Salary for Thermographers David Campbell 5/18/2007
I would advise a little caution in establishing a rate for thermagraphy. Many employees focus on the hourly rate that they are paid as the cost to the employer. Remember that $30/hr that you are paid may cost your employer $60/hr (everything from benifits to the cost of the paymaster. When trying to establish a proper rate EVERYTHING must be considered.
WHY??? because there are contractors, such as myself, that are more than happy to do the work. When your employer hires a contractor he no longer is responsible for a camera, software upgrades, re-calabration, sick days, insurance, autos, tools - well you get the picture.
This company charges the following per hour for inspections $68US, $75Cdn & $50Euro. There are also some travel cost however they are relitivly small. These rate have been in place since 1996 and have not changed since that time. I do have the advantage of no staff, a great paging system and the dissadvantage of doing everything myself. I make a fairly good living and love the work. To make sure that this is not seen as an ploy for customers I have not signed this reply.
Like I said just be careful and consider all costs.

Re:Salary for Thermographers Lonnie 5/25/2007
David Campbell wrote:
advise a little caution in establishing a rate for thermagraphy. Many employees focus on the hourly rate that they are paid as the cost to the employer. Remember that $30/hr that you are paid may cost your employer $60/hr (everything from benifits to the cost of the paymaster. When trying to establish a proper rate EVERYTHING must be considered.
WHY??? because there are contractors, such as myself, that are more than happy to do the work. When your employer hires a contractor he no longer is responsible for a camera, software upgrades, re-calabration, sick days, insurance, autos, tools - well you get the picture.
This company charges the following per hour for inspections $68US, $75Cdn & $50Euro. There are also some travel cost however they are relitivly small. These rate have been in place since 1996 and have not changed since that time. I do have the advantage of no staff, a great paging system and the dissadvantage of doing everything myself. I make a fairly good living and love the work. To make sure that this is not seen as an ploy for customers I have not signed this reply.
Like I said just be careful and consider all costs.
Sir

I am brand new to this forum and would like to ask some questions. I am nearing retirement and interested in the posibility of contracting as a thermography consultant. I am a broadcast engineer and first became interested in thermography as a way to look up at my FM antennas and detect problems. The equipment was too expensive and so that never happened.

If someone is so inclined, I would appreciate input regarding the cost of equipment and time and cost of training to become competent to sell my services.

Ideas regarding a business model would also be of interest to me.

I live in the more rural part of the Northwest (eastern Oregon) but expect to travel a good deal in our fifth wheel RV. Would this kind of occupation make a good match.

Is this an appropriate place to discuss this?

Thank you for any comment.

Lonnie

Re:Salary for Thermographers Carl M 5/26/2007
Lonnie, I'm presently semi-retired from the electrical trade after 35 years in industrial construction, maintenance and process controls. Five years ago I started with a good used FLIR system for $23,000. Level 1 and 2 courses run around $1800. Attending a conference with short courses was a couple more thousand dollars. I'm happy with what I'm doing now. I charge a low price per day ($800) but I also charge $250 a day additional for travel (figured from home to home). Now I have a good amount of local work and the regional work pays well enough to go out and do it. That's about it for now.

Good Luck,

CarlM

www.applied-standards.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012