Message Board Thread - "Home Inspections"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Home Inspections Atlantic-Thermal 5/12/2005
I am new to the home inspection bussiness. I am trying to get information as to be able to Inspect homes and qualify costumers for the govt' incetive. (one tonne challenge). To date the gov't does not offer infrared as a way to inspect homes for this program. If someone could point me in the right direction, as to whom I could call or email, I would be very greatful. Please contact me if you are interested in helping me get this thing going. By the way This refers to the canadian thermographers.
Thanks
Kevin
Atlantic-Thermal Infrared Solutions

Email: atlanticthermal@nb.aibn.com
Phone 506-624-9592
fax: 506-624-9596

Re:Home Inspections Bald Eagle 9/26/2005
Kevin,
If your doing a home inspection, thermography may not be appropriate to be included. You should stay within the SOP's of the association you belong to such as American Society of Home Inspectors. There link is ASHI.org. Thermography should be an additional service issue that is covered by an outside agreement. Always think in terms of standards of service and if you do get in a legal bind, you'll have something to defend. IF you go outside of the SOP, no lawyer can defend you. My two pence...

Re:Home Inspections what? 12/24/2005
You will probably need to invest in a blower door. The government needs to quantify the savings in order to offer incentives. IR is a great tool to use in conjunction with a blower door, as the air leakage is more apparent when the building is being depressurized/ pressurized. Much faster than using a smoke bottle.

The included image shows a recessed light fixture leaking air around it. The ambient indoor temp was about 70°, and the outdoor temp was about 71°, no wind. Without depressurization, this image would have been impossible.

Re:Home Inspections refresh 1/8/2006
I agree that a blower door is a must-have. I'm not sure about Canadian protocols, but I am in the process of becoming a certified home energy rater through resnet (http://www.natresnet.org/) and they require blower door testing as well as duct blasting. Infrared is not a requirement, but it will surely help you in diagnosing problems.
This image is one of my favorites of a can light and it would not have been nearly as impressive without a blower door.
-m

Re:Home Inspections thermoman 1/12/2006
The use of infrared thermographic inspections in conjunction with blower doors provide you with a means of identifying areas of leakage and thus provides you with the ability to relate the severity of each opening in relation to eachother within the residence. If the air leakage testing (done by means of the blower door only) produces an excessive leakage rate then the results of the IR inspection will allow you to priortize the remedial actions to the worst case problems areas and thus achieve a greater return on costs for the retrofit work.

But please note that pressure differentials experienced by low rise residential units are quite low and therefore the actual rate of return for air leakage faults may be quite low. In comparison, mid to high rise structures where presure differentials due to stack effect and winds are considerably higher, there is a greater rate of return for air tightness remedial actions.

Energy companies in the province of Quebec are now paying for and utilizing IR services as part energy analysis studies in order to reduce overall enegry use within buildings. Although a useful tool, the actual cost savings in energy reduction should be small compared to cost savings in determination of the air leakage moisture migration faults within structures that could result in premature building deterioration and mould remediation expenses.

Re:Home Inspections ferry 2/7/2006
I believe the operative word here is home inspections. I have conducted home inspections in the absence of the door blower, and am quite satisified with the imagery obtained. The negative pressure created by the door blower enhances the effect of heat transfer by way of convection currents, however, the thermal images do give remarkable results. The door blower is a must have for large buildings.

My 2 cents anyways.

Re:Home Inspections azdan 2/28/2006
In the process of completing 1 year home inspections(new homes coming to the end of 1st year liblity to builder), new additions to homes
I have been able to find a very large number of homes that have been missied completely, out of 70 new homes 35 were missing insulation in walls, attics !
The interesting thing is to watch a president of a mega builder look at the IR cam doing its work and the various stages of the light is going on we caught you! (fun but dangerous in AZ always pack heat when dealing with builders)

Dan Haydon PhD

Re:Home Inspections Ron Space Man 5/22/2006
For azdan..Re: residential inspections..What are some standard IR indications that show up for missing insulation in walls and ceilings? Do you have some images you can post?

Re:Home Inspections JNTOOLS 5/24/2006
In regards to IR indications of missing insulation. The images will show differently depending on the area of the country and winter vs. summer inspections. Here in Maryland it gets rather hot in the summer 90-100 deg F. And fairly cold in the winter 10 – 40 deg. F. I like to see a 15-20 deg. delta T. I have posted a prime example of missing insulation in a cathedral ceiling. You will notice the perfect shape of the anomaly. The dark area shows you that there is heat loss in the area. Because the area is perfectly shaped there is a good chance that the insulation is not present, however if the insulation in the area is not in thermal contact with the gypsum, the same anomaly will be present. Insulated areas that are in contact will show warmer. Even if insulation is present and the camera is showing the dark anomalies the insulation has not been installed correctly or has been damaged / compressed / wet / air infiltrated etc… and has major R value loss or gain. I have posted a link to my site with a pdf file of a fix that I did here in MD.

http://www.longwaveis.com/PDF%20Files/Reconstruct.pdf

J. Nachman
Longwave Inspection Services LLC

Re:Home Inspections Conrad 6/26/2006
Jn looks like whatever you did worked! Was it batt ins? I have used foam in the can for small problems that were not accessable. It worked well.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012