Message Board Thread - "Infrared ELECTRIC Inspections"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Infrared ELECTRIC Inspections 2020 8/16/2005
I am a building Thermographer and a home inspector. My job requires a full visual inspection of the property I am inspecting and I also provide an infrared inspection of the interior of the home. Although I do not do electric infrared inspections quite frequently I come across with electric concerns such as overheated junction boxes and or overheated breakers. I now would like to formally add qualitative electric inspections and would like to better recognize potential problems. Can anyone give me some information in doing qualitative electric inspections for residential and small commercial?

Re:Infrared ELECTRIC Inspections Doctir bob 8/16/2005
We will have some great papers on this topic and a great clinic on electrical inpsections at our InfraMation Conference in October. Go to www.inframation.org for details. There must be electric load on the system, which can be problematic for residential. You need to be able to safely open cabinets and remove covers to do a proper inspection. There's a lot more to it, so I do recommend getting trained up on this one.

Re:Infrared ELECTRIC Inspections 2020 8/16/2005
Are there any other seminars? October is the sttart of my bussy season and it will be extremely dificult to go so far away and for so long. Any reading material you could recommend?

Thanks

Re:Infrared ELECTRIC Inspections buchannie 9/16/2005
Browsing the message board I came across your posting and notice you haven’t had much of an answer so here goes:

Your thermal image shows 2 circuits connecting into 2 connections. Comparing the larger cables (at a point away from the connections) with the temperature scale they appear to be about 95°F which means they would be operating in excess of half their rated load. Important information for assessing remedial work and for anyone thinking of adding load to this circuit.

A similar comparison indicates the smaller cables to be about 5-10°F lower however, this apparent difference can also be due to a change of insulation emmissivity.

The cables from both connections show thermal gradients. The left hand cables show a temperature drop of 15-20°F over quite a short distance. Those on the right fall about 5°F over a similar distance which at this load can be dis-regarded.

A thermal gradient is a very important indicator because it allows us to assess the possible temperature at the source of a defect. I would assess the temperature increase due to the defect at the left hand connection to be about 30°F which, classifying defects as Minor, Intermediate, Severe, or Critical this falls into the intermediate range.

Considering this classification relative to the load, my suggestion would be to carry out further investigation / repair within the next two months and expect the possibility of physical damage to the effected components but not to surrounding components.

One last thing to note is the diffence in cable sizes at the connections. This often leads to the situation seen in this image and it is probable that the connection on the left was not tightened quite hard enough, just a wee nip of a 1/4 turn might well put things right.

This has not answered much of your many-part question so if you wish you can contact me at bob@infraredsurveys.co.uk

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012