Message Board Thread - "Underground Steam Line Leak Location"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Underground Steam Line Leak Location Dusty 9/13/2005
What is the best strategy for locating leaks from underground steam piping? The pipe run is several hundred feet in length and its location is known. The pipe run is through soil and crossing asphalt roadways. A “Cherry-picker” is available for use. The job is in the mid-Atlantic region and needs to be performed in late September.

Pipe size: 3” – 5”
Material: Fiberglass and unknown
Cover: 5’

Rather than digging up the entire pipe the contractor can perform point repairs.

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location Manuel 9/14/2005
Strategy??.. Aerial...

good luck.

roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location Manuel 9/14/2005
check this out:

http://www.stocktoninfrared.com/PUBLISHED/HTML/2001_1%20IR%20Info%20paper%20by%20GRS-Applications%20for%20Aerial%20Infrared%20Thermography.htm

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location Dusty 9/14/2005
Aerial is not an option. The project is in a "no-fly" area.

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location westie 9/30/2005
You might want to try the roof of a nearby building at night after the surface cools, I did this for a condensate leak in a utility tunnel between buildings.

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location sautter 10/4/2005
I have looked at steam lines from a man lift. The higher the better to see longer runs and a wider area. I did the survey just before sunrise when the temparures were cooler and the steam lines were active all night. The dirt areas were more difficult than the paved.

Re:Underground Steam Line Leak Location Albert 10/10/2005
Try acoustic emission ,if you can place a microfoon on staart and end of the line there is equipment to tell you where the leak(s) is (are) with in 1 1/2 Foot.
Good luck with your problem
Regards Bert

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012