Message Board Thread - "furnaces and boiler inspection"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
furnaces and boiler inspection walterdaniel 1/30/2004
I need information about inspections with flames between the wanted surface. I have an Agema 550 elite option.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection ron lucier 1/31/2004
I have a simple procedure that can help you more accurately measure tube temperatures in fired heaters. I can e-mail you this directly - please send me your e-mail and when i am in the office this week I will forward it.

Ron Lucier
ron.lucier@flir.com

Here are the documents you want Gary Orlove 1/31/2004
Okay everybody, I have decided to put links up for you so you can get the documents. Here they are:

The inspection procedure:
http://www.infraredtraining.com/images/cms/Documents/ITC_Tech_Note-Generic_Heater_Inspection_Procedure.pdf

The Reporter template: Right click to save and change extension to ".ret".
http://www.itcnewsletter.com/gloimages/Refinery_heater.RET

The Template in pdf format (if you don't have a recent version of Reporter)
http://www.infraredtraining.com/images/cms/Documents/Refinery_heater.pdf

And a bonus document on heater tube inspection:
http://www.infraredtraining.com/images/cms/Documents/ITC_Tech_Note-Furnace_tubes.pdf

Enjoy

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Ale 2/2/2004
Ron, send the same info to me.

Alejandro Bonavera - tecnoemel@infovia.com.ar
Flir distributor - Argentina

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection HeatSpy 2/4/2004
Ron please send to me also.

I find the non-blue flames interfere with analysis especially very yellow, red and black flames.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection dave gray 2/4/2004
Me too. I have an Inframetrics 290 with flame filter. 3 reformer furnaces

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Mike 2/4/2004
Ron,
Can you send me a copy of your heater procedure as well

Thanks

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Gary Orlove 2/4/2004
Hey guys, this is awesome all the posts and requests for Ron's information. The problem is that only a few of you put your email address in your posts, so Ron doesn't know where to send this stuff for most of you!

Repost with your email address and Ron will take care of you.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection thermoimagen 2/5/2004
i am interested in the procedure:
roberto cruz: info@thermoimagen.com

regards Ron..

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Willem 2/5/2004
Will you please send it to me as well?

Thanx
wjprinsloo@namakwa.co.za

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Ronald 2/5/2004
Please send the procedure also to me.

ronald.zeegers@sgs.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection GOO10 2/5/2004
PLEASE SEND INFO TO ME ALSO

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection GOO10 2/5/2004
PLEASE SEND INFO TO ME ALSO SIMPSON.GARY@COMCAST.NET

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Jeff Froelich 2/5/2004
Please send me the information as well. I have specialties in fuel burner combustion control systems.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Jeff Froelich 2/5/2004
Looking for the information. My email address is jeffrey.froelich@globalriskconsultants.com.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Wernher 2/6/2004
Ron, I would appreciate if you can send me the info as well.

Thank you.
Wernher
sizananielec@mweb.co.za

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Carl M 2/6/2004
Please forward that file to me also.
Thank you,

Carl M

cmarcinkowski@earthlink.net
http://www.applied-standards.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Larry 2/6/2004
Ron, I could use that reference material as well.

Thanks, Larry
larry.mulneaux@elmendorf.af.mil

Ron, my entire email address didn't post correctly, here it is again:

larry.mulneaux@elmendorf.af.mil

Looks like you may have to add the ".mil" the board won't recognize it!

Thanks

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection LWilcox 2/7/2004
Ron
Would you please send me a copy of the procedure for measuring the boiler tube temperatures.

Thanks

lrwilcox@aol.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Lyn 2/8/2004
Hi Can I also have a copy of the information.

Lyn.lalas@actewagl.com.au

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Junpei 2/9/2004
Would you please send it to me as well?
Thanks!
Junpei Zhou
galaton@insightbb.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection HeatSpy 2/9/2004
Me too Ron

ajleclercq@motivaenterprises.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Bert v.d. Heyden 2/9/2004
At our Cape Town Refinery, Ir surveys of fired heaters are an almost daily activity. We've established a procedure for determining tubeskin temperatures, that has proven to be quite reliable. If anybody has anything to share or is looking for info, please get into contact. My email is bfvanderheyden@chevrontexaco.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection emmanuele 2/12/2004
Ron,
Can you send me a copy of your heater procedure as well

emmanuele.miramonti@exxonmobil.com

Thanks

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection thermoimagen 2/13/2004
!!THANKS =)

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection wvagas 3/5/2004
could you please send me a copy of that information wvagas@aol.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection closerlook 4/20/2004
Ron,

Please send me procedures. Thanks.
closerlook@surfbest.net

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Roque 5/18/2004
Ron, send me the procedures. Thanks

Roque. roquejervis@hotmail.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Bob Berry 5/19/2004
DOWNLOADED THE PROCEDURE OK. Cant open the template, I have IRwin 5.3. Have you got a template compatable, or can you send me a sample report so as I can create my own template.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Gary Orlove 5/19/2004
I have placed a pdf version of the template in the post above so you can see the template to reproduce it if you don't have a current release of Reporter.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Bob Berry 5/20/2004
Thanks

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Naresh 9/6/2004
Dear Ron,
Please send me too the copy of procedure.
Naresh Soni
naishisoni@yahoo.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Dandy 9/22/2004
Please email me inspection on how to do furnace and boiler inspections with infrared. My email address is nrichert@tranquility.net. Thanks.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection NDT Tech 9/30/2004
Could you please send this information to me as well thanks

scalf.je@forces.gc.ca or jaiescalf@eastlink.ca

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Gary Orlove 10/1/2004
Everybody, please see my post above in bold red. I have included all the links so you can download all this material yourself without waiting for us to send it.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Geezer 10/6/2004
Looking over the the procedure given by Ron Lucier on heater tube evaluation, I find that it doesn't provide near enough information and is not accurate in all assumptions. I offer the following for your consideration...

1. "Scale" on the tubeskin surfaces will not tend to look cooler than the tube. These areas will, in fact, look hotter...significantly hotter! In fact, they will be hotter because of differences in heat transfer efficiency between the tube skin (cooled by the process material) and the scale which is not cooled as effectively by internal process cooling.

2. The emmisivity value of .85 is not consistent to produce accurate temp measurements. For instance, 347 SS will have a much lower "e" value than low chrome at the same temp. Also the "scale effect" talked about in item one will require systematic "e" value adjustments to better account for the "true" skin temp in significantly scaled regions. In addition, the "e" value will vary with temperature, sometimes considerably!

3. The angle of the shot will greatly affect the accuracy of the IR. "e" values would have to be reduced to arrive at a more accurate temp if shooting, say, at the far side tube in a long firebox.

These are just a few dieas, there is much more to consider, I would love to see a forum, where training is offered specifically for heater/boiler inspections. Let me know if you ever organize one. I'll be there!

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Angel 2/12/2005
Ron, send me the procedures. Thanks

Angel ABrito@Proefrtil.com.ar

Re:Heater Tubes Procedure Gastón Bonavera 5/15/2005
I fully agree with Geezer (very pleased to meet you) as regards the scale, the emissitivity, and that there are plenty of things to be yet considered.

Furthermore, after so many years of using different equipments to measure tubes, I have reached the conclusion that it is not possible to establish a General Procedure for this type of inspection, as the one it is being presented. This may lead to an inexperienced operator to committing significant errors.

Each furnace should be considered in particular, where the surface status of the tubes is not the only factor to the taken into account, but there are also many other decisive factors, among them, the fuel for burners (Fuel Gas, Fuel Oil, or combinations of them).

It requires a considerable amount of basic notional knowledge of materials, heat transfer, etc. A determinant would be the experience and number of inspections performed in the different types of furnaces and in their varying operating conditions.

Due to the complexity of this issue, I believe the most advisable thing to do is to interchange experiences and know-how on a personal basis at some kind of meeting of experienced operators, from which to draw the fundamental guidelines to be taken into account.

Re:Heater Tubes Procedure Gastón Bonavera 5/15/2005
gastonbonavera@fibertel.com.ar

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection Michael 7/25/2005
If thermocouples are welded to tubeskins, There is typically an area that has been grinded smooth for weld attachment. This area will usually appear significantly darker on tubeskin due to lack of scale. Check temperatures of your thermocouples and then set E=value accrodingly. Oh, if you do have considerable scale on tube surfaces, get a coarse file, heat it, bend it 90*, and weld it to a rod. Stick in the heater and knock some of the scale off to get a better reference of actual tube temp. DO NOT use this to calibrate or shoot other tubes. Other tubes are scaled up and will not have the same E.
On large can-style heaters, just adjusting E and background temp, from my experience will not do the trick. Adjustemnts to transmiss, and possibly reference value will be required. When shooting over extended distances in that violent of an environment, all bets are off. Throw your thumb up and eyeball it. Keep shooting and keep making adjustments. No two tubes are the same, no two flames are the same, and no two views are the same. Every porthole is a new world that you have to figure out. You can get generally close with a little effort, but if you want to get real close, you gotta burn the backside of your right hand. For me, it just takes standing there and working it out. Taking the things I "know" and applying that to the unknown to come up with a best guess.

I've seen coker heater that were not inspectable. They were in-direct fired and refractory dust covered every tube in the box. Anyone figures that one out, let me know.

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection permfuju 5/26/2007
ron lucier wrote:
a simple procedure that can help you more accurately measure tube temperatures in fired heaters. I can e-mail you this directly - please send me your e-mail and when i am in the office this week I will forward it.

Ron Lucier
ron.lucier@flir.com
Tranning in boiler inspection

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection mikemidrex 4/15/2010
ron lucier wrote:
a simple procedure that can help you more accurately measure tube temperatures in fired heaters. I can e-mail you this directly - please send me your e-mail and when i am in the office this week I will forward it.

Ron Lucier
ron.lucier@flir.com
Hi Ron,

Can you send me procedure?

Mike Arandas
Midrex Technologies
marandas@midrex.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection anibalGC 4/15/2010

Thank you.
anigarcia100@hotmail.com

Re:furnaces and boiler inspection anibalGC 4/15/2010

Thank you. Anibal

anigarcia100@hotmail.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012