Message Board Thread - "IMG Format"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
IMG Format termo 10/25/2005
I need the help of whoever knows about how the IMG format store the information of max temperature, min temperature, etc..

Kind Regards.

Re:IMG Format Pelle 10/25/2005
The IMG File format is different depending on the Camera or software that created it. So there are no easy answer. Therefore FLIR Has created a product SDK (Software Development Kit) that can be used to read the Imagefile in the IMG format.
The SDK can be purchased from FLIR Systems
ThermoVision SDK Part No: 1195710
The information about the individual img files are proprietary and will not be released.

Pelle Soderberg
Automation Technical Spec.

FLIR Systems

Re:IMG Format termo 10/25/2005
I'm working in my project to obtain my title of Ing. Electronic, and i need read the .IMG files in Matlab, and I obtain some data in a vector and our group found that the data since 1081 to the end is the level of gray of each pixel of the the thermographic image of 320x240 codified in 16 bits but we dont know the data since 0 to 1080 how is codified, and we think in that data is all information about the max and min temperature, analysis, date, the type of the camara, etc..., and we need to extract that information, and we like to know how some programs like Irwin, etc.. do that.

Kind Regards

The type of the camera is THV 550, but I think that must exist a protocol or something like that to code the information like: emissivity, Object distance, Ambient temp, Atmospheric temp, relative humidity, transmission, reference temp, date, time, etc... in the IMG format, please if whoever have that information is so important for me.

Kindest Regards

Re:IMG Format Pelle 10/25/2005
I'm sorry we will not release this type of information, hence the SDK.
The SDK ActiveX control will work straight in Matlab so that should not be a problem to read the 550 images in Matlab.
You can then use the properties of the ActiveX control to retreive the Object Parameters. get the temperature or the signal values. Get LUT's and all other info you might need.

Pelle Soderberg
FLIR Systems

But this is only for academic purposes

and if you want you can send me only the basic information to my mail: pachequinho_@hotmail.com I'll appreciate your colaboration

With Kind Regards

Re:IMG Format Jim Haney 10/26/2005
Sorry, It doesn't matter what the purpose is for the information is proprietary and cannot be released. You contact FLIR sales they may be able to discuss a non-discloser agreement.

Regards,

Re:IMG Format studentA 12/2/2005
Hi!

I cannot help you with the header, but can with reading the raw image from IMG file.
You can position yourself at the begining of the image with the following piece of code in C:

fseek(f,-2*(width+padding)*(height+bottomOffset), SEEK_END);

Where variables are:

width = 326
height= 244
bottomOffset = 1
padding = 1

The data is coded into two bytes (16 bits) in big endian format. You can then simply display those values scaled on 0 to 255 interval and get a good IR image. Or you can simply work with 16bit values.

Unfortunately the header would provide info about the temperature ranges but that remains a mystery ;)

This is valid for camera ThermaCam PM695, but I suppose it should be valid for others too...

Hope it helps!

Re:IMG Format Pelle 12/2/2005
To StudentA

Your code is interesting but you are assuming some of the image info and it doesn't always work. you might get an image but it is not the real data.
As we (FLIR) has an SDK that is only around $1000.00 that takes all the guessing and hacking in the Filformat away, I suggest that is the way to go.
By now you might already spent the money in wasted time and it has not gotten you a radiometric image just a pseudo image with some data that you do not know what it represent.

Pelle

Re:IMG Format studentA 12/4/2005
Well $1000 may seem like a small amount of money to you, but here (academic institution in Europe) it is beyond our capabilities.

Indeed I do not know what the data is (temperature ranges), but for my purpose (detecting and tracking objects) it is sufficient. It shows as a pretty good IR image in which I can detect warm objects, and map them with a visual image.

Re:IMG Format Bob Berry 12/5/2005
If you arem just interested in seeing the images you could use Thermacam explorer it is freeware and available through Flir's website under the software link

http://www.flirthermography.com/support/downloads/TCEXPSETUP.EXE

Re:IMG Format ogi 12/7/2005
But SDK still cant help with providing information about what tool is being used
while taking shot(spot, area max..) and data
like emissivity, distance. I am talking about
Flir jpg format.

Re:IMG Format Pelle 12/7/2005
Ogi

No you can not retrieve the settings of the Measurements that existed when you saved the Image with the SDK and the CamCtrl.ocx this is done with another ocx and if this is something that you require then you should contact FLIR and see if this irimg.ocx can be a solution for your needs.

Pelle

Re:IMG Format ogi 12/9/2005
Pelle
Thanks for answer.

StudentA
Where are you from?

Re:IMG Format ogi 12/9/2005
Pelle
I see that you do support for sdk, whom
should I contact regarding that irimg.ocx?

Re:IMG Format Pelle 12/9/2005
Ogi

You can contact me and we take it from there.

Pelle

Re:IMG Format Wookey 1/27/2009
What about people using Linux or indeed any OS other than Windows. The SDK is no use there. I don;t understand why, as manfacturers of cameras you would want to be so proprietary about the output data. You want people to buy cameras and be able to use the data, do you not?

I've just been given a series of photos taken with a FLIR camera and they seem to be impossible to read without getting a Windows machine. I haven't needed one of those for well over a decade, and am most dissapointed at the current state of IR photography formats.

Hvae things imporved since this 2005 thread? I didn't find much evidence to suggest they had?

Re:IMG Format Pelle 1/27/2009
Wookey wrote:
out people using Linux or indeed any OS other than Windows. The SDK is no use there. I don;t understand why, as manfacturers of cameras you would want to be so proprietary about the output data. You want people to buy cameras and be able to use the data, do you not?

I've just been given a series of photos taken with a FLIR camera and they seem to be impossible to read without getting a Windows machine. I haven't needed one of those for well over a decade, and am most dissapointed at the current state of IR photography formats.

Hvae things imporved since this 2005 thread? I didn't find much evidence to suggest they had?
FLIR has taken the decision to develop software on the Microsoft plattform. For FLIR to support all different OS versions of Linux or other plattforms would require a lot of support personel. As FLIR is an ISO registred company the number of employees needed for this can not be justified by the market place.
As Windows XP followed by VISTA are the most used Operating Systems in the World, I think that justifies the Decision.

Latest world-wide Operating Systems Market Share Statistics
XP 76%
VISTA 14%
MAC OS 3.5%
UNIX 1.2%
Windows Other < 1%
Other OS < 1%

Pelle Soderberg
FLIR Systems

Re:IMG Format jhicube 12/3/2010
May I ask if ThermoVision can possibly support php platform?

IMG Format from LabVIEW Andris 2/7/2011
Hello!

Sorry if this is not appropriate place where to ask this but I have spend all day for searching this information with no results.
I have saved .img files with ThermoVision LabVIEW Toolkit (RecordingAction VI). Is there any way to read time stamps from these files using LabVIEW? Or I need to use ThermoVision SDK?

Best regards,
Andris Slavinskis
PSI, Switzerland

Re:IMG Format Andris 2/8/2011
Andris wrote:

Sorry if this is not appropriate place where to ask this but I have spend all day for searching this information with no results.
I have saved .img files with ThermoVision LabVIEW Toolkit (RecordingAction VI). Is there any way to read time stamps from these files using LabVIEW? Or I need to use ThermoVision SDK?

Best regards,
Andris Slavinskis
PSI, Switzerland
Problem solved using GetCameraProperty from CAMCTRLlib.LVCam Class.

Andris Slavinskis

Re:IMG Format rmat 4/1/2011
Pelle wrote:
FLIR has taken the decision to develop software on the Microsoft plattform. For FLIR to support all different OS versions of Linux or other plattforms would require a lot of support personel. As FLIR is an ISO registred company the number of employees needed for this can not be justified by the market place.
As Windows XP followed by VISTA are the most used Operating Systems in the World, I think that justifies the Decision.

XP 76%
VISTA 14%
MAC OS 3.5%
UNIX 1.2%
Windows Other < 1%
Other OS < 1%

Pelle Soderberg
FLIR Systems
so you based your market research on world wide operating system share, which is distorted by office and home users, instead of looking at your actual market base which is mostly academic and R&D. Quite a lot of analysis in research is done on a Unix like platform as it has much better stability and scalability, I suppose it depends what your doing though.

as to your file format and having to buy the SDK it is uneconomic for most of us. As a work around downloaded the free trial of ThermaCAM and exported them to matlab that way, this works in both windows and under wine in linux.

As an aside Cedips Altar software dose allow you to read the IR images with mat lab, (or anything). It is a shame that you do not, and i hope that ALTER dose not go the same way now you are in ownership of that company.

Re:IMG Format lillian20101 4/2/2011
Check out the Hot new future...
[url=http://hothelpsyousell.com/classified-ad-posting]craiglist posting[/url]

Re:IMG Format sixth sense2 4/13/2011
Hi,

do you have a set of list on what the sdk can do in terms of processing off line images perhaps?

Thanks

Re:IMG Format António Ramos 1/24/2012
Pelle wrote:

XP 76%
VISTA 14%
MAC OS 3.5%
UNIX 1.2%
Windows Other < 1%
Other OS < 1%

Pelle Soderberg
FLIR Systems
Has academic student and researcher, can i use The Labview thermovision toolkit to develop an application and past it to anyone using a OS that is not Windows? Or the toolkit does not work on labview installed on other OS (linux and mac)?

Re:IMG Format Gabriel Klein, Switzerland 2/17/2012
I did some analysis of the Flir JPEG image format to "open it".

The goal is to have a set of tools to use it on Linux (or MacOs)

You can get more informations here
http://home.nuage.ch/site/geek-space/flir-i7/

This is a "work in progress", if you have or need more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Gabriel Klein / Switzerland

Re:IMG Format FaithTech 5/16/2012
Pelle wrote:
entA

Your code is interesting but you are assuming some of the image info and it doesn't always work. you might get an image but it is not the real data.
As we (FLIR) has an SDK that is only around $1000.00 that takes all the guessing and hacking in the Filformat away, I suggest that is the way to go.
By now you might already spent the money in wasted time and it has not gotten you a radiometric image just a pseudo image with some data that you do not know what it represent.

Pelle
I noticed this is a fairly old post. Is there a current version of the SDK available and if so, at what price?

Re:IMG Format AdM 5/24/2012
Gabriel Klein, Switzerland wrote:
ome analysis of the Flir JPEG image format to "open it".

The goal is to have a set of tools to use it on Linux (or MacOs)

You can get more informations here
http://home.nuage.ch/site/geek-space/flir-i7/

This is a "work in progress", if you have or need more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Gabriel Klein / Switzerland
I recently discovered that on MacOSX, the excellent shareware GraphicConverter has "added import of FLIR raw data to context menu" in its late version 8.0.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/162/new-functions-and-versions.html

According to the operator's manual, "If you open a JPG picture in FLIR format, you can display an additional saved grayscale image that shows the heat distribution via the context menu for an open picture using the metadata. These files are written by infrared cameras."

I am just still wondering how to use it…

I've only tried to use recorded pictures on my Mac, not directly from the SD card.

We 'll try it later…

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012