Message Board Thread - "Acid Plant Piping"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Acid Plant Piping WPaz 1/30/2004
Please send us information about how to apply thermography to measure wearing out or thinning on Acid Plant piping (material saramet or ductil iron), if is possible please include information about same matter on Storage, Dry and Absortion tanks.

Sincerily,

Walter Paz

Re:Acid Plant Piping Gary Orlove 2/2/2004
Thermography is the simplest of all thermal inspection techniques and involves using an infrared camera to look for abnormally hot or cold areas on a component operating under normal conditions. For example, areas of corrosion thinning on vessels or piping carrying hot gas or liquid will show up as unusually hot areas on a thermal image.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:Acid Plant Piping Mscull 2/4/2004
I built a test vessel from ¼" wall 12" OD carbon steel pipe cut in half (24" long) and welded a ¼" plate opposite the half circle. Then, drilled partial ½" holes and cut several gouges ~1/8 to 3/16" deep ¼" wide. Also, welded a 1 "square ¼" thick plate inside.

I filled the vessel with ~ 120 F water and cooled the exterior with 65 F cool water.

Result -I was able to detect heat signature as the water evaporated and the hot water reheated the previously cooled exterior surface but, unable to detect the thin metal areas; however, I was able to pick up the 1" square welded inside.

Used FLIR PM280 SW camera

Conclusion - conduction through the pipe happened faster than I was able to detect.

I was testing the possibility of NDT of API-12F tanks in the Oil & Gas Industry. Presently, visual inspection of the inside of the tank is the only viable method of detecting corrosion. The tanks are 10', 12', & 15' diameter by 15 to 25' tall. The mere size makes in impractical to rely on UT.

Re:Acid Plant Piping Gary Orlove 3/12/2004
I just came across this research this morning:

Infrared Thermography Test for High Temperature Pressure Pipe
High temperature pressure pipelines are extensively used in petrochemical plant and power station. The pits or wall loss defects can be severely internally produced after a certain period of time due to media corrosion and cavitation erosion. These defects finally lead to leakage of the pipes. In order to search for a good non-destructive method for these defects, a big pipe testing installation was constructed. A serious of infrared thermography testing experiments were performed for 4 kinds of stainless steel and carbon steel pipes which are drilled different size holes on inner-surface. The testing results show that infrared thermography test is a very suitable method for non-destructive test of corrosion pits and wall loss defects of high temperature pressure pipes. The corrosion pits or wall loss defects that size are bigger than F10mmX40% wall thickness can be detected by infrared thermography test. The testing sensitivity satisfies the requirements of pipe safety operation.
See http://www.ndt.net/article/apcndt01/papers/1033/1033.htm

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012