Message Board Thread - "Stainless Steel Tanks"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Stainless Steel Tanks Glancy 1/5/2006
I was wondering has anyone out there used a thermal imaging camera to carry out corrosion and stress analysis on stainless steel tanks. What emissivity value should I use on 306 S/S. I have a thermacam PM695. I have only used the camera for Electrical inspection and wondered could I use it for this particular application and how sucessful would it be, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re:Stainless Steel Tanks Pete 1/5/2006
Stainless has such a low emissivity value I doubt you could collect any relevant data. If you need to perform I/R on stainless, I would suggest coating the stainless with a material with a high enough emissivity to take useful data.

We have found that coating stainless with Pentrant Developer use by our ISI weld inspectors has a high emissivity and the developer can be removed with water.

Stainless that has been sand blasted only has an emissivity of appx. .44. I use stainless shim shock as my first surface mirror for taking I/R data in hard to reach places.

Re:Stainless Steel Tanks jdemonte 1/6/2006
Two other issues to remind us about doing IR on SS along with Pete's excellent comments:

1. Be careful of what you coat SS with. The addition of chlorides to SS can be quite destructive.

2. If the component was uncoated/unpainted SS to begin with, it may have been designed that way on purpose. If you decide to increase the emissivity, do so only temporarily like Pete mentioned, by coating it with a material that can be removed. Low emissivity equals low efficiency to radiate and consequently, is equal to the ability to absorb radiant energy (at the same wavelength). For instance, it might be low emissivity to keep things cool or keep things hot. Raising that emissivity will change that.

Joe

Re:Stainless Steel Tanks Pete 1/6/2006
Good comments Joe. The great thing about the developer is that it does not contain Chlorides or Fluorides which will affect the stainless.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012