Message Board Thread - "Jumped in with both feet"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 3/14/2006
A hearty Hello there!
Well, I did it. I purchased(in route) a P65HS with the current special FLIR is running. I've signed up for Level I & Building Diagnostics training courses. And, I'm starting a new company in WA in which the first focus will be on Building Diagnostics then most likely persue commercial/Industrial opportunities.

The advice I seek now is what other tools/instruments should I acquire to compliment the camera itself (i.e. Moisture meter, etc)???

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re:Jumped in with both feet what? 3/14/2006
The advice I seek now is what other tools/instruments should I acquire to compliment the camera itself (i.e. Moisture meter, etc)?

It all depends what you want to do. They'll suggest several tools in your training, particularily in the BSI course.

I look at buildings and use IR to help me locate problems, but its best use, for me, is as a sales tool. Some of my other tools include blower door(s), duct blaster, pressure pans, manometer, combustion analysis equipment, gas sniffer, CO monitors, electrical testers, moisture meters, anemometer, compass and a hammer.

That's a whole bunch of extra stuff to learn how to use. The most important thing to get your head around is what you're looking at. Buildings are complicated animals, especially when you put people inside them! Good luck.

Re:Jumped in with both feet Ea1Services 3/29/2006
Speaking of blower doors, do you have any good leads on suppliers or are there any particulars that one should know when shopping for these?

Re:Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 3/29/2006
Thanks for the advice. I've seen the applications of blower doors and hope that the upcoming courses help me as you stated.

Re:Jumped in with both feet JKEngineer 3/30/2006
Re: sources of blower doors

One source is The Energy Conservatory, makers of the Minneapolis Blower Door. www.energyconservatory.com I have had experience with it. It works well. The company is very supportive and available by phone.

There are competitors out there, including Infiltec, I believe. A google search should find them. I am not saying anything either way about the competition, I don't have experience with them.

I am saying that the folks at The Energy Conservatory have been great.
Jack
Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:Jumped in with both feet what? 4/1/2006
As Jack mentioned, there are The Energy Conservatory and Infiltec. There is a third: Retrotec, from Canada. They all charge about the same prices for similar equipment.

I happen to use a Minneapolis blower door from the Energy Conservatory. I work with other contractors and State agencies that use the same equipment, so it makes sense for compatibility of pressures, flow and interchangeability of parts. We're planning a calibration party for those of us who still have the old magnahelic gauges. We expect to have about 20 hooked together at the "party".

Having said that, check around where you live to see what equipment has predominant use. You may find a source of equipment, parts, or at least camaraderie.

Re:Jumped in with both feet JKEngineer 4/2/2006
what?

When and where is the calibration party?
Jack
Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 4/5/2006
Thanks Gentlemen for the input.

The best that I can tell is that the IR community is thin at best in my area. And that's a good thing right? :)

I will google around for info/opinions on those make & models.

I've filed my LLC paperwork through the state and I'm awaiting my EIN#. Then it's MBL, County, & City. In conjunction with Bond & the insurance with it. Does anyone have input on insuring the camera itself?

Cheers! ScanMan

Re:Jumped in with both feet ckenny 4/5/2006
Insure you don't drop it.

Re:Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 4/6/2006
Oh ya! Don't think that the first thought running through my head if I trip is to protect the camera...not my body.

I'm going to lease the camera to my business but I won't have all the paperwork drawn up for that before my upcoming trip to Boston (April 10th).

Ahh Ha! Air Bags for IR Cameras! Air bags will deploy when proximity sensors+gyroscopic oddities are detected.

UPDATE :Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 8/22/2006
Thank you gentlemen for your info.

Here's an update:
Company: INFRA-SPECT THERMAL DIAGNOSTICS L.L.C.

Web address (site not built yet) www.infraspect.us & www.infraspect.net

The Holy nightmare of designing a logo with a graphics artist is over. See attached.

Level I completed
Building Science completed.

Company propaganda created: Business Cards, Customer Service Agreement, Customer Invoice, Signage for Van, & Dickie Shirts emblazed with Logo.

Insurance: This may be valuable info for some. Hartford Insurance; 60k on camera a associated equipment(everywhere it goes & includes clutso moments, theft, etc) + 5K on supporting equip, 2 Million Liability w/ 1 million per occurance, and also some other misc features. Cost = $1600 annual.

Cheers!

Re:Jumped in with both feet Avalon Inspection 8/22/2006
ScanMan,
Your logo looks pretty good but my first impression was "radiation". It sort of looks like a rendering of an atom with electrons flying around it.

Re:Jumped in with both feet Toolman 8/25/2006
Hey, IR is a type of radiation.....right?

Re:Jumped in with both feet Avalon Inspection 8/25/2006
No.

Re:Jumped in with both feet irinspect 10/17/2006
Could you give me more information on the insurance that you bought? I am paying significantly more for basically the same type of policy?

Re:Jumped in with both feet Pete 11/22/2006
Avalon Inspection, please help me understand how Infrared is not a form of radiation, since IR stands for Infrared RADIATION. Reference Webster's Dictionary; Radiation: a. Emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves or photons.

Maybe ITC hides the fact that Infrared is not a form of Radiation in their Level III class? I know they drive home the fact that Infrared is a form of Radiation in the Level I & II courses.

Splitting Atoms is not the only form of Radiation out there.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Pete

Re:Jumped in with both feet Peter 11/24/2006
Scanman, just a quick note. Who's your Hartford Insurance Agent? If it's a guy named Michael Holland, aka Michael Napadow, David Napadow, there's a BIG problem with insurance fraud.

Re:Jumped in with both feet Avalon Inspection 11/24/2006
Pete,

My post was merely pointing out that the infrared radiation we normally detect with our IR cameras is not the same as radiation from a radioactive decay.

There are several definitions of radiation. Here are two:

1) energy radiated in the form of waves or particles

2) a stream of particles or electromagnetic waves emitted by the atoms and molecules of a radioactive substance as a result of radioactive decay

I'm still sort of new to thermography but I thought IR was short for InfraRed, not Infrared Radiation. Maybe someone here can edumacate us.

Re:Jumped in with both feet Top Gun 11/25/2006
As far as the insurance goes, a large item that will increase the price of insurance is "errors and emisssions". This item is primarily for professional engineers who perform advanced analysis and render conclusions for their clients based on their disciplined expertise. Most thermographers are "technicians" and perform observations of thermal conditions that exist for their clients. "Technicians" need insurance mainly to cover their instruments and bodily injury that may occur in transport to and from their job and on the job. They may also carry an Umbrella that covers substantial loss due to some consequence of their activity on-site. I hope this helps.

Re:Jumped in with both feet IEQ Expert 11/28/2006
Read IPD in Inframation 2005 page 367 will be very helpful as a primary guidance.

Re:Jumped in with both feet IEQ Expert 11/28/2006
Refer to InfraMation 2005 article page 367 for suggested equipment for IEQ assessments. What is your business model?

Re:Jumped in with both feet ScanMan 11/30/2006
Well now, I don't pay attention to this thread for a little while and see what happens....

Insurance ??: I secured my Hartford policy through a local broker Braatrud Middleton Insurance, Longview, WA 98632. Basically my policy is as follows: 60k on camera(covers damage/loss caused by either my stupidity or someone elses), 5k on misc equipment, & 2 million on Errors & Omissions. I did provide a stringent customer service agreement with plenty of disclaimers and copyright info. That along with my LLC status might have aided in the yearly cost of ~$1600.

Logo Intent: Provide a Unique, Simple, Colorful logo that captures the consumers eye and has some hint of what we are doing. Originally I had the arrows emminating from the openings in the house but, you couldn't see the house when done. Yes, this is a tweek of the atomic symbol minus individual electron balls in the orbits.

Happy Scanning!

ScanMan

Re:Jumped in with both feet Bobby 2/10/2007
Ea1Services wrote:
g of blower doors, do you have any good leads on suppliers or are there any particulars that one should know when shopping for these?

Re:Jumped in with both feet AIF 3/3/2007
ScanMan, you say you’re in Longview WA? I’m not far Vancouver WA and service the Portland area. Love your enthusiasm, this is a fairly small world and thought it would be nice to have someone else in the industry to bounce ideas off of and BS locally. I travel past Longview four times a month maybe we could get together for lunch or cocktails. Let me know

Re:Jumped in with both feet RetroRon 9/28/2007
what? wrote:
mentioned, there are The Energy Conservatory and Infiltec. There is a third: Retrotec, from Canada. They all charge about the same prices for similar equipment.

I happen to use a Minneapolis blower door from the Energy Conservatory. I work with other contractors and State agencies that use the same equipment, so it makes sense for compatibility of pressures, flow and interchangeability of parts. We're planning a calibration party for those of us who still have the old magnahelic gauges. We expect to have about 20 hooked together at the "party".

Having said that, check around where you live to see what equipment has predominant use. You may find a source of equipment, parts, or at least camaraderie.
Hi Folks!

I just had to jump in and clarrify something. Retrotec is the only company of the 3 that has fully digital gauges that work with all competitors equipment. Also, Retrotec is the industry leader in Blower door applications for fire suppresion and security. Our equipment is better designed, engineered, and constructed. Nobody has better quality construction or a more professional appearance. If you don't believe me, take a look at our websites. Which equipment would you like your customers to see you show up with? As for pricing, the systems do all cost about the same, but the value for your dollar is higher with us. Also, we offer way more configurations. Something for everyone. Anyway, sorry for barging in like this, I just want everyone to know that just because there are more people using Minniapolis equipment in energy rating, there are other, and I believe better, options.

Re:Jumped in with both feet Columbo of heat loss 12/9/2007
controversy is good, the logo looks a little like an atom as said, and Scanman sounds a little like Scamman, and actually may create more controversy and interest!

Re:Jumped in with both feet HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/11/2007
I have the same insurance as you do and I only pay $500 a year. Through the same company and everything. I'm based out of massachusetts. What did you do before jumping in?

Re:Jumped in with both feet Infra-Spect Thermal Diagnostics LLC. aka (ScanMan) 2/12/2008
My Hartford Insurance Policy:

Business Personal Property Replacement: $6,000
Money & Securities Inside Premises $10,000
Money & Securities Outside Premises $10,000
Thermal Imaging Equipment $60,000
Business Income & Extra Expense: 12 months loss
Action of Civil Authority: 30 days
Extended Business Income: 30 consecutive days

Business Liability Max Coverage:
*Liability & Medical Expenses: $1,000,000
*Medical Expenses-any on person: $10,000
*Personal & Advertising Injury: $1,000,000