Message Board Thread - "Electric motors & pumps"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Electric motors & pumps Wernher 2/6/2004
I need any information on IR applicable to electric motors and pumps. Does the size of the motor influance running temperature? Do load on the motor make a difference to running temperature and if so how? Bearing temperatures in working conditions? How does the material pumped influance working temperatures?

I am doing 2 weekly inspections on 200kw electric motors turning slurry pumps via belts. The motor is mounted on top of the pumps with a pully on the drive end. Gold slurry is being pumped 24 hours per day.

Any information welcome.
Thank you.

Wernher

Re:Electric motors & pumps walterdaniel 2/6/2004
If I were you I'd do the inspection with an electrical engineer next to you.
My email is drodas@semapi.com.ar, if you are alone with this.

Daniel

Re:Electric motors & pumps jdemonte 2/7/2004
Wernher,

A simple answer to your questions is "YES". Environmental conditions, size, load, and process being pumped all affect the operating temperatures of the rotating equipment. Your best bet is to baseline a component that is running well (to the best of your knowledge) or a new component that has just been installed. Note everything including air temperature, % load, temperature of the gold, air movement (wind or ventilation), etc. This will be important to know since trending is always difficult when the temperatures go up or down and you need to know why.

I also recommend other predictive (or condition based if you will) technologies for rotating equipment. Vibration analysis and ultrasound along with oil analysis can help you discover the EXACT operating condition. It's excellent to find a component or bearing housing that is running too hot, but then you have to ask yourself "why is it too hot?" The other technologies can combine to figure that out.

If you need more info, contact me at joe.demonte@flir.com

Re:Electric motors & pumps oj 3/5/2004
One major thing to watch for with a sheave or pulley driven piece of equipment is heating of the shaft from misaligned sheaves or belt tension that is too tight.

Another area to watch and compare is the changes in the heating of the motor. Joe had an excellent Mechanical Application short class at Inframation 2004 on this.

If you would like to discuss this more please drop me a line oj.utter@nwelectric.com

Re:Electric motors & pumps thermoimagen 3/16/2004
i found this threads that talks about the motor:

http://www.infraredtraining.com/community/boards/thread/69/

regards

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012