Message Board Thread - "Equine Thermographers"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Equine Thermographers c-rob 6/15/2006
My Name is Cassie Robinson. I am looking to start my business of Equine Thermography this summer on primarily racehorses. I have been going through a long process to start and have researched quite a bit but still feel as if there is so much more to learn. I am from Canada and am looking for courses and anyone experienced in this field interested in being a bit of a mentor or someone to assist me with added information and help along the way. If you are interested in helping out a young entrepreneur, I would love to hear from you! All help and replies are much appreciated. Sincerely, Cassie Robinson

Re:Equine Thermographers Doctir bob 6/26/2006
Our InfraMation Conference in Las Vegas, Oct 23-27 has a half day IR clinic on equine thermography taught by Jim Waldsmith,DVM. Check it out at www.inframation.org

Re:Equine Thermographers infraredfred 8/3/2007
c-rob wrote:
is Cassie Robinson. I am looking to start my business of Equine Thermography this summer on primarily racehorses. I have been going through a long process to start and have researched quite a bit but still feel as if there is so much more to learn. I am from Canada and am looking for courses and anyone experienced in this field interested in being a bit of a mentor or someone to assist me with added information and help along the way. If you are interested in helping out a young entrepreneur, I would love to hear from you! All help and replies are much appreciated. Sincerely, Cassie Robinson
Cassie, did you ever find a mentor and how is your first year in biz going? I am in the midwest and am now looking at starting an EQUINE biz.

Any advice now you are a year into it?

Re:Equine Thermographers Robyn 6/18/2008
c-rob wrote:
is Cassie Robinson. I am looking to start my business of Equine Thermography this summer on primarily racehorses. I have been going through a long process to start and have researched quite a bit but still feel as if there is so much more to learn. I am from Canada and am looking for courses and anyone experienced in this field interested in being a bit of a mentor or someone to assist me with added information and help along the way. If you are interested in helping out a young entrepreneur, I would love to hear from you! All help and replies are much appreciated. Sincerely, Cassie Robinson
I was wondering how your business is doing? I am also interested in starting a thermography business, also on racehorses. I have a FLIR B2, and attended the seminar given by Drs. Waldsmith and Turner in California. And, I am also looking for a person(s)or websites that can give me some help interpreting images,ie; what is a normal pattern vs what is not, etc. Have you come across an online image gallery of specific heat patterns, or something in that nature?

Re:Equine Thermographers Anna 8/6/2008
Hi, I am also starting at equine thermography, but in South America, where there is almost no info about it.

Has any of you attended the Thermography Level I course of the ITC? Is it of interest for equine thermographers?

I am considering taking this course, which is the only one I have access to here in South America. However, I have got the impression that it is totally oriented for engineering applications, so I am afraid I will be spending money in a course that might help me very little.

What do you think about it?

Re:Equine Thermographers Ea1Services 8/16/2008
Anna, having taken the course referenced in this post and the Level 1 I would say that if you're looking for the level one to give you specifics to equine, you might be dissapointed. Level 1 is a detailed course on theory and would be the beginning of any understanding of the science involved. Try to acquire a copy of Common Sense Approach to Thermal Imaging and you'll get some idea of what Level 1 is about.

If you can find away to get to the course referenced in this post, it will be more specific to animal imaging.

Re:Equine Thermographers conn thermography 10/31/2008
c-rob wrote:
Cassie-
I just got back from Jim Waldsmith 4 day equine thermography class - it was incredible. The class is scheduled April/May 2009 and it shouldn't be missed I learned more in 4 days than 4 years in college.
Shari

Re:Equine Thermographers Infraredhitech 1/25/2009
conn thermography wrote:
Cassie-
I just got back from Jim Waldsmith 4 day equine thermography class - it was incredible. The class is scheduled April/May 2009 and it shouldn't be missed I learned more in 4 days than 4 years in college.
Shari
I was looking for that class on line and I can't find it. Do you have a link for it? Are there any other classes offered in the US?

Re:Equine Thermographers Infraredhitech 5/11/2009
Infraredhitech wrote:
I was looking for that class on line and I can't find it. Do you have a link for it? Are there any other classes offered in the US?
Yes there is another class offered. (and much better) I am presently in the class and talk about one on one. It is me and another student in her living room. I have never learned so much in so short of time. Go to http://www.vet-therm.com/veterinary-infrared-training.htm talk to Donna Harper she has been doing infrared on animals forever. You will learn how to image horses, dogs, cats, really any animal. Tell her I said hello.

Re:Equine Thermographers Hotshots Equine Thermography 6/28/2009
c-rob wrote:
Hi Cassie...I took the first Equine thermography course given in Western Canada by Equitherm UK...I would recommend going to the UK and taking the course if you can,....it was unorganized here as it was the first time...but I learned lots!...Jan

Robyn wrote:
I was wondering how your business is doing? I am also interested in starting a thermography business, also on racehorses. I have a FLIR B2, and attended the seminar given by Drs. Waldsmith and Turner in California. And, I am also looking for a person(s)or websites that can give me some help interpreting images,ie; what is a normal pattern vs what is not, etc. Have you come across an online image gallery of specific heat patterns, or something in that nature?
Hi..I am starting an Equine Thermogrpahy bus in BC Canada....I recommend learning how to image the horse properly, finding lots of horses to do full scans on...then you will learn what 'normal' looks like......

Hotshots Equine Thermography wrote:
Hi..I am starting an Equine Thermogrpahy bus in BC Canada....I recommend learning how to image the horse properly, finding lots of horses to do full scans on...then you will learn what 'normal' looks like......
I had a look @ the Vettherm image posted and I can say from my course that it is not a good image for equine....try Equitherm UK ..Sandi Chambers

Re:Equine Thermographers faye 7/8/2009
I am in the initial stages of looking into a course to learn Equine Thermography. Is the Equitherm course any good? I am based in the UK so travel to the course isn't a problem. Any info gratefully received!

Re:Equine Thermographers Hotshots Equine Thermography 7/8/2009
faye wrote:
the initial stages of looking into a course to learn Equine Thermography. Is the Equitherm course any good? I am based in the UK so travel to the course isn't a problem. Any info gratefully received!
Yes it's a very good course..Sandi is at the top of her field..and she is very particular about her students doing things properly....

Re:Equine Thermographers faye 7/11/2009
I spoke to Sandi today and i really want to go on the course more than i did! It does sound very good, all i need to do know is somehow find the funding for the camera!!!!!!

Re:Equine Thermographers Equireva 1/1/2010
c-rob wrote:
Hi Cassie,

They just started a cooperation of equine thermographers in Canada. You should best contact Trish Peden at Safety Expresse. She is from Flir Canada and took the initiative. They had a stand at the Winner Fair this Autumn in Toronto.
Best regards,
Gerry
Holland

Technique question for equine work sh6455 2/1/2010
I attended the thermography course in August at Ohio State, I have a few questions about technique.
I am a veterinarian in Texas and am following several two year old running quarter horses in training at a local farm.
This is my technique:
I try to set my lowest temp in the range so that the background is black and as close to the ambient temp as feasible.
My upper range is 20 degrees above the lowest.
I then keep the same settings for each view of that horse and each horse after.
So that if I am imaging 5 horses, I try to keep the same temp range on each horse.

However, when I image the horses the next week, the range has to change depending on the ambient temp.

This is confusing to the owner and trainer as they feel that the range settings should be the same in order to compare apples to apples.

I don't understand the physics enough to explain only can tell them that it is relative temp changes and patterns rather than absolutes.

But, when I put the images into the FLIR software and adjust each image so that they are the same range each week.....I start doubting what I am seeing.

So, how do you handle this.

Re:Equine Thermographers SoCal Infrared 2/2/2010
sh6455 wrote:
ded the thermography course in August at Ohio State, I have a few questions about technique.
I am a veterinarian in Texas and am following several two year old running quarter horses in training at a local farm.
This is my technique:
I try to set my lowest temp in the range so that the background is black and as close to the ambient temp as feasible.
My upper range is 20 degrees above the lowest.
I then keep the same settings for each view of that horse and each horse after.
So that if I am imaging 5 horses, I try to keep the same temp range on each horse.

However, when I image the horses the next week, the range has to change depending on the ambient temp.

This is confusing to the owner and trainer as they feel that the range settings should be the same in order to compare apples to apples.

I don't understand the physics enough to explain only can tell them that it is relative temp changes and patterns rather than absolutes.

But, when I put the images into the FLIR software and adjust each image so that they are the same range each week.....I start doubting what I am seeing.

So, how do you handle this.
Great Question sh6455 (Sorry, didn't see name there)

You are confusing temperature ranges with anomalies......the Apples to Apples is the anomalies, not the temperature span. You will not be able to control the evironment unless you are doing your scans in a lab which is not reality in the horse business or at least how I have found to be.

One of the "Keys to Success" in an equine business is a proper interpretation and that comes with great experience and time with an IR camera. I know by your profession that you know Animal Medicine as you are trained to palpate and feel for heat however your camera is much more sensitive and will see things that your hands cannot feel.

Have a look at www.equineir.com including our training class which the next one offered is April 26-29th in San Diego, CA. I can tell you that protocols and proceedures are key to success and this is all part of our class. All this including a systematic interpretation system (www.interpretir.com fee based) is included in our class as well as report writing. Know that even the Veterinarians in my area that use me for scans as well use my Veterinarians for interpretations. I would tell you that likely less than 5% of the Vets out there even understand infrared. You can do a search on YouTube for unitedinfrared and you will see some feedback from our previous classes.

Here is one from our recent class in Orlando, FL Jan 6-9th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pAjnTV-gr4

Here is a recent video of a scan being done and a interview with a horse owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV0rSxT6-Mg

You can call with any questions, I will be glad to assist and help you understand how to be successful with Equine Scanning.

Peter Hopkins, United Infrared, Inc.
760-593-2339

Re:Equine Thermographers jmr 2/20/2010
SoCal Infrared wrote:
Great Question sh6455 (Sorry, didn't see name there)

You are confusing temperature ranges with anomalies......the Apples to Apples is the anomalies, not the temperature span. You will not be able to control the evironment unless you are doing your scans in a lab which is not reality in the horse business or at least how I have found to be.

One of the "Keys to Success" in an equine business is a proper interpretation and that comes with great experience and time with an IR camera. I know by your profession that you know Animal Medicine as you are trained to palpate and feel for heat however your camera is much more sensitive and will see things that your hands cannot feel.

Have a look at www.equineir.com including our training class which the next one offered is April 26-29th in San Diego, CA. I can tell you that protocols and proceedures are key to success and this is all part of our class. All this including a systematic interpretation system (www.interpretir.com fee based) is included in our class as well as report writing. Know that even the Veterinarians in my area that use me for scans as well use my Veterinarians for interpretations. I would tell you that likely less than 5% of the Vets out there even understand infrared. You can do a search on YouTube for unitedinfrared and you will see some feedback from our previous classes.

Here is one from our recent class in Orlando, FL Jan 6-9th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pAjnTV-gr4

Here is a recent video of a scan being done and a interview with a horse owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV0rSxT6-Mg

You can call with any questions, I will be glad to assist and help you understand how to be successful with Equine Scanning.

Peter Hopkins, United Infrared, Inc.
760-593-2339
What type of resolution camera is a good one to start with?

Mic

Re:Equine Thermographers Jkays 4/7/2010
jmr wrote:
What type of resolution camera is a good one to start with?

Mic
I would go with at least a 75 MK and 320X240

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012