Message Board Thread - "Door Fan"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Door Fan Bob Kulakowski 7/23/2006
Has anyone fabricated a door fan? I would rather build one than spend around 3k for one.

I will be using this for air infiltration on residential homes.

You can e-mail me at info@cedarhillinspect.com if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

Re:Door Fan what? 8/8/2006
What makes a commercial blower door a valuable diagnostic tool is not that it generates airflow, but that it is calibrated to measure the airflow. If you want to change building pressures or amplify air leakage in order to "see" the results with IR, just pick up a couple of good box fans and stuff them into windows. You will accomplish the same thing.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to reinvent a calibrated blower door setup. It would probably cost more money to build than it would take to buy one.

Re:Door Fan Bob Kulakowski 8/10/2006
Thank you for the reply. I actually did just that but could not generate enough negative pressure. I ended up using the whole house fan and what a difference.

I was able to be a frame and cover from a blower door manufacturer and will use a commercial duty fan to create the pressure difference.

I want to look like a professional when I am out doing thermal loss audits so using "Wal-Mart" box fans is not a good option.

Thanks.

Re:Door Fan wvagas 12/25/2006
Bob Kulakowski wrote:
ou for the reply. I actually did just that but could not generate enough negative pressure. I ended up using the whole house fan and what a difference.

I was able to be a frame and cover from a blower door manufacturer and will use a commercial duty fan to create the pressure difference.

I want to look like a professional when I am out doing thermal loss audits so using "Wal-Mart" box fans is not a good option.

Thanks.
If you want to look professonal pay the $3,000.00

Re:Door Fan miller0723 1/22/2007
you can get a blower door system for about 2400-2500 and i think you will find that this will allow you to do much more that just find air leaksge. they are worth the money if for nothing else but to impress the customer and to figure out if the home is too tight which can lead to indoor air problems and even when gas appliances are used death from co2 gases. i just think that to protect yourself its best to have a system that tell ,with high accuracy, the amount of air leakage
william miller
thermalcomcepts1@bellsouth.net

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012