Message Board Thread - "Help with Getting Started"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Help with Getting Started TIWNY.com 9/8/2006
I am level I certified thermographer, and have an E series camera. I am looking for advice on how to get started with marketing the business. I am open to any and all markets. I have a business brochure, website, and business cards. I have made mulitple mailing to electricians, contractors, home inspectors, and realtors. I have also written an article in a local home owners guide. But I have had very little luck with getting calls and jobs. This is my part time business, and I am just looking for some advice on how to get started. thanks.

Re:Help with Getting Started HVAC 10/5/2006
It's a tough sale in my area, due to being to technologically advanced for this area. Realtors and Home Inspectors veiw it as a "Deal killer" and they don't want me to use it when I do a HVAC Inspection. I do use it as a time saver to find and prove problems on regular HVAC calls. I used IR to prove building envelope was the problem, Not the HVAC system, only to be told they wouldn't pay for this info, They wanted the info and still bug me to tell them as nobody else can figure it out. Good luck in getting buisness as i'm in the same boat.

Re:Help with Getting Started JNTOOLS 10/5/2006
I have been doing building science thermography here in Maryland for just over two years and here is what I can tell you. I have an E series camera a Level 1 certification, a Building Science certification and an extensive knowledge of residential construction. Around 15-20 percent of all real estate deals are broken due to home inspection, adding equipment that can find more problems will increase that percentage. If you are a home inspector that is recommended by realtors and you are using thermal imaging as part of your inspection you will not last long (the technology is that good!). Expect little business from contractors; they also are not looking to open a can of worms. If a buyer contacts you to do a home inspection and wants you to use a thermal camera to look for possible building envelope defects, you will want to have good error and omission insurance and a good contract (It can be very expensive). All that being said, I am a firm believer in the technology. Most thermographers are using the technology in an existing business as a tool. Electricians, restoration companies, ect… Training is the most important aspect of the business, a high end camera in the hands of someone with little knowledge will cause a bad name for the industry and the thermographer (I am not labeling you personally). The best market is the end user, someone who has nothing to lose if a defect is discovered. You can also market as a subcontractor to the electricians or restoration co. etc.. The only problem with gearing your business toward the end user, is that it is expensive to advertise to get that customer. Most end users are a one shot deal, they use you once solve there problem and you never hear from them again. Referrals are important but you can not always count on them. Networking, free advertising and making the general public aware of what thermal imaging has to offer will help generate business for you. Keeping your overhead low will keep you in business.

Re:Help with Getting Started HVAC 10/6/2006
I also have L-1 and E series camera. I backed up my building envelope findings with "ACCA" approved load calculations for the home showing how my recommendations would correct this prob lem.

Re:Help with Getting Started cnlmustard 1/3/2007
Yes, I have the same comment as HVAC, in fact I had to look twice to be sure I didn't write it! Im in the New Orleans area, so you have the chimpanzee IQ, combined with the post Katrina "too much work to do already without finding new troubles" block. I have found that the few good end user clients I get are typically very rich homeowners in a genius occupation, i.e. doctor, engineer, etc. Hope that helps you any. Come to think of it, I need to network that group myself!

Re:Help with Getting Started cannman 1/26/2007
TIWNY.com wrote:
vel I certified thermographer, and have an E series camera. I am looking for advice on how to get started with marketing the business. I am open to any and all markets. I have a business brochure, website, and business cards. I have made mulitple mailing to electricians, contractors, home inspectors, and realtors. I have also written an article in a local home owners guide. But I have had very little luck with getting calls and jobs. This is my part time business, and I am just looking for some advice on how to get started. thanks.
call me
www.infraredsurvey.com

Re:Help with Getting Started kinseyindallas 6/19/2007
JNTOOLS wrote:
been doing building science thermography here in Maryland for just over two years and here is what I can tell you. I have an E series camera a Level 1 certification, a Building Science certification and an extensive knowledge of residential construction. Around 15-20 percent of all real estate deals are broken due to home inspection, adding equipment that can find more problems will increase that percentage. If you are a home inspector that is recommended by realtors and you are using thermal imaging as part of your inspection you will not last long (the technology is that good!). Expect little business from contractors; they also are not looking to open a can of worms. If a buyer contacts you to do a home inspection and wants you to use a thermal camera to look for possible building envelope defects, you will want to have good error and omission insurance and a good contract (It can be very expensive). All that being said, I am a firm believer in the technology. Most thermographers are using the technology in an existing business as a tool. Electricians, restoration companies, ect… Training is the most important aspect of the business, a high end camera in the hands of someone with little knowledge will cause a bad name for the industry and the thermographer (I am not labeling you personally). The best market is the end user, someone who has nothing to lose if a defect is discovered. You can also market as a subcontractor to the electricians or restoration co. etc.. The only problem with gearing your business toward the end user, is that it is expensive to advertise to get that customer. Most end users are a one shot deal, they use you once solve there problem and you never hear from them again. Referrals are important but you can not always count on them. Networking, free advertising and making the general public aware of what thermal imaging has to offer will help generate business for you. Keeping your overhead low will keep you in business.
Saw your response to the questions on 10-5-07
Wonder if you could help me out. I'm new to the business of IR. Plan to use my camera in the roofing industry where I have over 30yrs. exp.
I would like to have a copy of your contract for
professional services. I'm in the process of putting a contract together and would greatly
appreciate any input.

Thanks
Larry Kinsey

Re:Help with Getting Started kinseyindallas 6/19/2007
JNTOOLS wrote:
been doing building science thermography here in Maryland for just over two years and here is what I can tell you. I have an E series camera a Level 1 certification, a Building Science certification and an extensive knowledge of residential construction. Around 15-20 percent of all real estate deals are broken due to home inspection, adding equipment that can find more problems will increase that percentage. If you are a home inspector that is recommended by realtors and you are using thermal imaging as part of your inspection you will not last long (the technology is that good!). Expect little business from contractors; they also are not looking to open a can of worms. If a buyer contacts you to do a home inspection and wants you to use a thermal camera to look for possible building envelope defects, you will want to have good error and omission insurance and a good contract (It can be very expensive). All that being said, I am a firm believer in the technology. Most thermographers are using the technology in an existing business as a tool. Electricians, restoration companies, ect… Training is the most important aspect of the business, a high end camera in the hands of someone with little knowledge will cause a bad name for the industry and the thermographer (I am not labeling you personally). The best market is the end user, someone who has nothing to lose if a defect is discovered. You can also market as a subcontractor to the electricians or restoration co. etc.. The only problem with gearing your business toward the end user, is that it is expensive to advertise to get that customer. Most end users are a one shot deal, they use you once solve there problem and you never hear from them again. Referrals are important but you can not always count on them. Networking, free advertising and making the general public aware of what thermal imaging has to offer will help generate business for you. Keeping your overhead low will keep you in business.
Saw your response to the questions on 10-5-07
Wonder if you could help me out. I'm new to the business of IR. Plan to use my camera in the roofing industry where I have over 30yrs. exp.
I would like to have a copy of your contract for
professional services. I'm in the process of putting a contract together and would greatly
appreciate any input.

Thanks
Larry Kinsey kinseydallas@gmail.com

Re:Help with Getting Started mohd 8/25/2007
TIWNY.com wrote:
vel I certified thermographer, and have an E series camera. I am looking for advice on how to get started with marketing the business. I am open to any and all markets. I have a business brochure, website, and business cards. I have made mulitple mailing to electricians, contractors, home inspectors, and realtors. I have also written an article in a local home owners guide. But I have had very little luck with getting calls and jobs. This is my part time business, and I am just looking for some advice on how to get started. thanks.
We r looking for thermographer to work with us here in JOrdan waitting your offer regards

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012