Message Board Thread - "NFPA 70E"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
NFPA 70E PeterB 10/25/2006
Would like to share info re: responding to new PPE requirements. What are you doing, how did you get started? Possibly share info to reduce cost to all parties of developing a formal safety program. Thanks, Peter

Re:NFPA 70E IRJay 10/25/2006
You should attend a safety class put on by many companies. Order a safety program guide from NFPA.
If you are not an electrician that is considered qualified your options for many of the rules are simple. You do not belong there.
Putting this into practice is a whole other issue. Getting customers and possibly your supervision involved can complicate matters. The goal is simple too. Keep yourself safe and alive.

Re:NFPA 70E Laland 10/25/2006
Can you elaborate the provisiom on NFPA 70E? I have always heard of this but is not familiar.

Re:NFPA 70E Carl M 10/29/2006
Cooper Bussman has very good electrical safety resources.

https://www.cooperbussmannstore.com/c-10-safety-basics-training-materials.aspx

Carl Marcinkowski

www.applied-standards.com

Re:NFPA 70E Tracker1 11/9/2006
This is an example of what it takes to become NFPA 70 E compliant. We use the 11 calorie suit while removing covers in catagory area 1 locations.

Re:NFPA 70E Lady IR tech 11/10/2006
Tracker the only thing missing from the PPE is HIS GLOVES. Yes, one has to have the Rubber/leather gloves on to within complinance.

Re:NFPA 70E ies_surfninja 12/3/2006
Yes the gloves are required as stated. I can't tell what the cat. rating is from the photo but it looks more like a cat. 2. A 480v, OPEN ,transformer cover and panel.
BTW, who does IR with the deadfront on the panels anyway?? I know who, a lot of unqualified IR fellas.

Re:NFPA 70E Carl M 12/4/2006
There is often some confusion with the glove requirements. To simplify, we are dealing with two separate electrical hazards.
If you are an electrician working on energized equpment (or testing for an electrically safe condition) the voltage rated (rubber) gloves are required within the "Restricted" and "Prohibited" Approach Boundaries to live parts.

For IR inspection we are to remain outside of these boundaries. However, the arc flash hazard matrix instructs us to protect our hands as needed (AN)in a category 1 location and requires leather gloves (or nomex) for Category 2 and up. The voltage rated rubber gloves with leather protectors are not required or practical for the task of infrared inspection. For electricians I also recommend using leather work gloves for the task of opening or removing covers and change to the V-rated gloves for energized work.

Carl M.

Re:NFPA 70E Carl M 12/4/2006
"To simplify, we are dealing with two separate electrical hazards."

Sorry, I also meant to identify the two electrical hazards as;

1) Shock Hazard
and
2) Arc Flash Hazard

Carl M.

Re:NFPA 70E pogue mahone 12/6/2006
It there is a 4 foot boundary for ark flash does this mean your full body including your hand and arm or just your main trunk of you body is out side the 4 foot limit leaving your hand and arm exposed but able to get closer to the target
Is it possible to do general IR scans accurately with the camera 4 foot from the target or would you need a extra lens?

Re:NFPA 70E pogue mahone 12/6/2006
Tracker1 wrote:
an example of what it takes to become NFPA 70 E compliant. We use the 11 calorie suit while removing covers in catagory area 1 locations.
For this size transformer do you typically need this amount of protection

Re:NFPA 70E Carl M 12/6/2006
pogue mahone wrote:
For this size transformer do you typically need this amount of protection
Although I've done many arc flash analyses with equipment like this, I hesitate to say that arc flash hazard category 1 would likely be the level of protection required by NFPA 70E. Because it is also possible that the level of protection of some of that equipment may be category 2.
Simple stated, category 2 would dictate the face protection and fire rated shirt, pants, leather gloves and hearing protection. Cat 1 would be eye protection, and fire rated shirt.

Carl M

Re:NFPA 70E daryl 12/6/2006
Guys and Gals,

If you had read NFPA-70E and seen the requirements for arc flash protection you'll all see that you need to perform an arc flash hazard analysis first. The analysis calculations will determine the cal/cm2 you need and the distance requirements for each. Without the analysis you are GUESSING that you are protected. Do not ASSUME you are safe unless you know what you are looking at, what your safe distances are and what your PPE has for protection levels. If you remove the covers/panels open doors you will be required to suit up to a whole different level that if you take images from 42" away. Bigger better camera = greater distance = less NFPA 70E required! Yes, over kill on clothing will make you feel safer, but are you really over the limit? If you were at Inframation 2006 and attended the general session or attended the electrical or safety clinic you know what I'm talking about!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012