Message Board Thread - "Gas find Infrared Camera Vs Ordinary Infrared camera"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Gas find Infrared Camera Vs Ordinary Infrared camera Prashanta 11/29/2006
Dear All,

What is the difference between Gas find Infrared Camera & Ordinary camera like P-65?

Is there any technology difference between two?

One of our client is asking to detect the gas leak in refinery plant pipe lines.

It will be of immense help if somebody can explain, whether we can use P-60 camera for the same.

Liquid temp. inside pipe is higher than ambient temp. in some cases, where I think it is possible by P-60, but where there is no difference between inside pipe liquid temp & outside ambient temp. How we can detect the leakage?

PKS

Re:Gas find Infrared Camera Vs Ordinary Infrared camera Paul 11/29/2006
The major difference is that the GasFindIR has been specially tuned to view hydrocarbon gases in the mid-wave (3-5um) portion of the spectrum. Your P65 in certain cases will, in fact see methane. However, this may be difficult to use on a daily basis. I mean, if the concentration of the gas and environmental conditions are not optimal, you may think that there is no leak present, when in fact there is. Also, the GasFindIR has been engineered to maximize the sensitivity necessary to view small leaks.

Yes. There is a significant technology difference. GasFindIR utilizes our patented Stirling Microcooler to cryogenically cool the detector. Your P65 utilizes an “uncooled” VOx microbolometer, which operates at ambient temperature.

If your client is in need of “gas leak detection” services, they would be best suited with a GasFindIR camera. On the other hand, you mention “liquid” inside the pipe. If there was a “liquid” leak present and you were able to catch it at the right moment, then your P65 may work. I say at the “right moment” because if the liquid leak is not a constant leak, the liquid will cool down or heat up to its environment; therefore, masking the temperature difference between the liquid and its background.

Re:Gas find Infrared Camera Vs Ordinary Infrared camera wilky 12/7/2006
Paul wrote:
or difference is that the GasFindIR has been specially tuned to view hydrocarbon gases in the mid-wave (3-5um) portion of the spectrum. Your P65 in certain cases will, in fact see methane. However, this may be difficult to use on a daily basis. I mean, if the concentration of the gas and environmental conditions are not optimal, you may think that there is no leak present, when in fact there is. Also, the GasFindIR has been engineered to maximize the sensitivity necessary to view small leaks.

Yes. There is a significant technology difference. GasFindIR utilizes our patented Stirling Microcooler to cryogenically cool the detector. Your P65 utilizes an “uncooled” VOx microbolometer, which operates at ambient temperature.

If your client is in need of “gas leak detection” services, they would be best suited with a GasFindIR camera. On the other hand, you mention “liquid” inside the pipe. If there was a “liquid” leak present and you were able to catch it at the right moment, then your P65 may work. I say at the “right moment” because if the liquid leak is not a constant leak, the liquid will cool down or heat up to its environment; therefore, masking the temperature difference between the liquid and its background.
Surely the liquefied gas is at high pressure, and at normal temp and pressure it would be a gas. In which case, any leaks would behave like a refrigerant leak. The actual leak orifice would act like an expansion valve and cause local refrigeration. The P60 would then be able to see the lower temp material.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012