Message Board Thread - "need advice on insurance"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
need advice on insurance miller0723 1/18/2007
looking to start business of energy auditor and thermal camera inpections and i need to know if someone would give me the name of an insurance company that would write general and E&O insurance

Re:need advice on insurance trinity 1/19/2007
I am trying to do the exact thing you are, and am sorry to inform you that apparently there is no insurance agency that offers E&O insurance for infrared cameras, or at least we haven't found them yet. What we seem to be finding is that companies that are out there doing this work, believe they have insurance and they are covered, but I think if they actualy investigated their coverage they would be in for a rude awakening.My broker has contacted all the major insurance providers, and is running into dead ends everywhere. The only option we came up with, was to have our lawyer draw up a contract between us and our customer that they sign before we do the work, stating that we are doing investigative work only, and are only giving the customer information to assist them with making their decision on how to rectify their problem. If anyone knows of anything different, I'd love to know as well.

Re:need advice on insurance jvoitl 1/19/2007
Check the "Insurance" thread in this forum with the last entry 12-7-05.

Re:need advice on insurance CPIT 2/6/2007
Trinity,

I was wondering if you would pass along the contract you are using. I am new to the industry also, and I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything in my contract. My email is cpinfrared@comcast.net

Re:need advice on insurance trinity 2/6/2007
Hi guys, I'm waiting for some final info from my broker, but it's not looking good on insurance. My broker deals with all the major insurers.He had an extremely hard time locating insurance. There seems to be a lot of people out there that we beleive are doing this type of work, fully beleiving they are covered, are being told they are by mistaken insurance brokers, but I am scared to say if they actually researched their policys they would get their eyes opened in a hurry.After months of researching (I actually know it took him this long because I worked on it with him)the only offers he could get were the following:
#1- $1,000,000 Maximum coverage
$10,000.00 deductible
Annual premium $ 35,000.00

#2- $2,000,000.00 Maximum coverage
$10,000.00 deductible
Annual Premium $39,000.00

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but that hurts to someone who is just trying to get off the ground. I'll try to keep you all updated, but it's not looking good.

Re:need advice on insurance JNTOOLS 2/6/2007
Most of the companies that are doing thermal building inspections that have E&O insurance are using the camera as a tool for an existing business, example home inspector, energy auditor, restoration company, hygienist etc…. The E&O insurance that they have most likely covers them for there particular profession against an error or omission. Most Insurance companies with the exception of Chubb does not even know what a thermographer is, let alone insure for one.

I will be posting a link in a week or so to paper that I wrote that will discuss this subject from the perspective of a freelance thermographer. There will be a lot of information on thermal imaging as a stand alone business from someone that has been doing stand alone thermography for three years. This paper should help new thermographers and answer a lot of questions.

Re:need advice on insurance John@CPR 10/22/2007
JNTOOLS wrote:
the companies that are doing thermal building inspections that have E&O insurance are using the camera as a tool for an existing business, example home inspector, energy auditor, restoration company, hygienist etc…. The E&O insurance that they have most likely covers them for there particular profession against an error or omission. Most Insurance companies with the exception of Chubb does not even know what a thermographer is, let alone insure for one.

I will be posting a link in a week or so to paper that I wrote that will discuss this subject from the perspective of a freelance thermographer. There will be a lot of information on thermal imaging as a stand alone business from someone that has been doing stand alone thermography for three years. This paper should help new thermographers and answer a lot of questions.
JNTOOLS Did you ever post this article? Thanks

Re:need advice on insurance ScanMan 10/23/2007
I have Hartford Insurance through a local broker. ~ Coverage: $1,000,000.00 E & O, ~ $60,000 Full coverage on my P65HS camera no matter where it is, & $60,000 coverage on my other equipment. The premium is $1,600 per year.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012