Message Board Thread - "Winter roof inspections"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Winter roof inspections R. Misener 1/20/2007
I have a question for everyone about doing a roof inspection for leakage in the winter months. The customer has requested if we can do this on a commercial building. The roofs have snow on them most days, so right there I have hit a roadblock. I believe the customer wants to know if there ARE any leaks or not. They are not sure of the roofs condition. Would it make any sense to perform the IR inspection from the inside ceiling of the building? I don't believe there are any attic areas to access. Not sure where to go from here, so I thought I'd ask the experts........

Re:Winter roof inspections B. Boyd 2/7/2007
R. Misener wrote:
a question for everyone about doing a roof inspection for leakage in the winter months. The customer has requested if we can do this on a commercial building. The roofs have snow on them most days, so right there I have hit a roadblock. I believe the customer wants to know if there ARE any leaks or not. They are not sure of the roofs condition. Would it make any sense to perform the IR inspection from the inside ceiling of the building? I don't believe there are any attic areas to access. Not sure where to go from here, so I thought I'd ask the experts........
It has been my experience that scanning the roof systems in the winter can be problematic. Even in the winter, as the surface of the roof system heats up, you can end up with moisture that will effect your readings.

Scanning can be done from the interior on an exposed steel deck; however, the deck must be a painted surface.

Re:Winter roof inspections Al 2/8/2007
IR inspections can be done in the winter but you will need good conditions. Obviously when there is snow on the roof it won't work. You will need a dry surface, a couple good sunny days in a row will help. A black roof surface could get as high as 50+F during the day with good sunshine. That should give you a chance. Where is this roof and what type is it. If you don't know you can send me the address and I'll google it and see if I can tell. I'm in Chicago and I promise not to steal your clients.

Al Kravitz
Roof Consultants Inc.
www.roofconsultantsinc.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012