Message Board Thread - "reflective insulation, effect on thermal image?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
reflective insulation, effect on thermal image? johnroberts 2/8/2007
Hello

I'm looking having an infra red scan done on my house. I have a foil faced eps insulation on the exterior. The foil is facing out, will this affect the infrared camera at all? I have heard that metals such as aluminum have a high rate of reflection and would interfere with the results.

Thanks

John

Re:reflective insulation, effect on thermal image? Gary Orlove 2/9/2007
Big time!

If the camera is seeing the foil directly, the foil will act as a mirror and reflect infrared energy from objects across the street; you will not get much useful data about your house.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:reflective insulation, effect on thermal image? johnroberts 2/11/2007
Gary Orlove wrote:
e!

If the camera is seeing the foil directly, the foil will act as a mirror and reflect infrared energy from objects across the street; you will not get much useful data about your house.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center
What if the material is underneath the siding for example?

Thanks

John

Re:reflective insulation, effect on thermal image? Bob Berry 2/12/2007
The camera sees only the surface, so whatever is below the surface will not matter much to it. If there is a foil surface internally this will contribute to the overall performance of the building, provided there is no contact between it and other surfaces.

Your original post suggested the foil surface was facing out, and this would make thermography extremely impossible, if however it is somewhere within the wall buildup then it would not really interfere with the result.

Re:reflective insulation, effect on thermal image? John Snell 2/16/2007
I'm assuming the insulation is covered with some sort of siding? If this is the case, the foil will NOT have an impact on the image as you see only the outermost surface.

I don't often see low-emissivity surfaces as the exterior finish but recently came across a house where they were actually installing "clapboards" made of bare copper!!! No thermals yet, but see the attached visual. Obviously some people have different ideas than others.

Thermally yours,

John Snell
Snell Infrared
ASNT NDT Level III #48166
www. snellinfrared.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012