Message Board Thread - "Is this a void in the wall?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Is this a void in the wall? hammack 2/20/2007
This image was taken when the outside temperature was at app. 28 deg. F.It is under a beam and is similar at other beams in the warehouse.

Re:Is this a void in the wall? Robertlouis850 2/21/2007
To me, it appears to be water intrusion into the blocks that make up the wall. I'd check the flashing around the beams at the suspect areas.

Re:Is this a void in the wall? Ea1Services 2/27/2007
Robertlouis850 wrote:
e, it appears to be water intrusion into the blocks that make up the wall. I'd check the flashing around the beams at the suspect areas.
Looking at the difference in the imaage running across the top (just below the FLIR and 76) I would ask if this was the roof line and if there is a parapet above the roof deck. That areas is highly susseptible to problems with moisture. Two question I would like to also know more about.

1. Where the darker area is, the mortar joints indicate to be warmer. If this is a moisture build up, why would they be warmer?

2. Simular question for the area below the darker where the focus is not as good as the rest of your image.

3. Two different block materials and was this just a veneer facing?

Re:Is this a void in the wall? Robertlouis850 2/28/2007
Good points Ea1,also curious is the slightly cooler rectangle centered on and below the beam. My first thought was that the block was filled with vermiculite or other insulating material that has gotten wet, but looking at the pattern of the rest of the blocks, I no longer think so. I think that to further diagnose the problem, we need to know whether the outside temp. was rising or falling. Also, a visual photo of the outside wall at this point would help.

Re:Is this a void in the wall? trinity 2/28/2007
Is there possibly some kind of coating/moisture on this area. And has the mortar possibly been repaired/re-pointed where it looks different, possibly with a different product?

Re:Is this a void in the wall? LaBella 2/28/2007
hammack wrote:
age was taken when the outside temperature was at app. 28 deg. F.It is under a beam and is similar at other beams in the warehouse.
Just the opposite I think the block cavities may be filled. A void would appear lighter such as the many light areas of block cells vs the dark mortar joints. Heat travels from hot to cold, the solid parts of the blockwork conduct heat to the exterior better than the cells and will appear cooler.
If all beam locaions look the same and its a water problem - its a problem!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012