Message Board Thread - "Exporting thermal cameras"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Exporting thermal cameras rbs4000 2/27/2007
Hello,

I have seen on some links references that imply that taking an IR cameras out of the US is illegal. Would anyone know if this is so and what the reasoning is?

Thanks in advance. Richard

Re:Exporting thermal cameras FLIR GTC 2/27/2007
Hello Richard,

IR Cameras manufactured by FLIR are controlled by the U.S. government for export purposes. Depending on the model, they can fall under either the control of the U.S. Department of State or the Bureau of Industry and Security. What this means is that some sort of U.S. Gov authorization is required to take them out of the U.S. In some cases, as with those under control of the Bureau of Industry and Security, a license exception may apply to take it out temporarily, but to permanently export it, a license will likely be required. With those under the control of the U.S. Dept. of State, a license is likely to be required to export both temporarily and permanently. The U.S. Export Regulations should always be consulted prior to taking a FLIR camera outside the U.S. FLIR's Global Trade Compliance organization can also be consulted for assistance.

Re:Exporting thermal cameras Pat_R 3/25/2007
Does anyone have a link to the particular 'US Export Regulations' concerned with this? I am trying to source a Flir Thermacam B2 - and would like to find out if its subject to a license or not.

Re:Exporting thermal cameras Pat_R 4/27/2007
I got in contact with the US dept. of commerce export section. It seems that getting an export license isnt necessarily such a big deal (takes approx. 1 month). The real stumbling block are the manufacturers keeping the us market seperate from europe and taking a higher margin in europe (ie. they wont allow us vendors to sell overseas...nothing to do with the export licence)

I suppose i will buy second hand then.

Re:Exporting thermal cameras crsouser 1/8/2010
Pat_R wrote:
n contact with the US dept. of commerce export section. It seems that getting an export license isnt necessarily such a big deal (takes approx. 1 month). The real stumbling block are the manufacturers keeping the us market seperate from europe and taking a higher margin in europe (ie. they wont allow us vendors to sell overseas...nothing to do with the export licence)

I suppose i will buy second hand then.
It is the potential military use of the thermal camera is probably another major reason it is export controlled.

The US Government wants to control which countries the technology is shipped to try to prevent them being used for military purposes.

Even a BCAM for example can be used to locate individuals, detect weaknesses in fortifications, etcetra. The higher end FLIR cameras marketed to law enforcement and the military even have tighter controls on them.

In additional to military purposes, controlling the technology protects the interests of US manfuctors and spurs further technology invoation in the field. So if for example a Chinese mfg started producing a stripped down knock off of the Flir BCam for example for less than 1/3 the price Flir loses the income to use for R&D to further their other equipment.

Even taking them into Canada or getting one from Canada delivered into the US poses 'challenges'.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012