Message Board Thread - "Applying compressed air to very hot metal surface."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Applying compressed air to very hot metal surface. pcm ir man 3/6/2007
I am trying to get proof that when i have a breakdown in refractory in our furnaces that we should not apply compressed air. The surface/shell when we have a refractory failure, can get up to 6-700 degrees C. I believe that by applying compressed air we are actually oxidising the metal shell and since the process/furnace temp changes with the products we coat ( steel strip coating plant ), the steel shell actually starts to shrink and expand causing more damage ( the cooling with this method works for a short time then a larger hot spot appears - more refractory damage. then more air is applied over a wider hot spot then the viscious circle starts more air/more damage ). I also belive that by applying compressed air which is at ambient temp at the end of a very long leg of pipe, we are reducing the cold face temp in this area below the rest of the shell ( normally 120-160 degrees C )and are possibly drawing more heat behind the internal refractory damage, causing more damage.
I am also worried obout the risk of legionella from water in the old compreesed air pipes also possible hydrocarbon poisoning in the atmosphere from oil in the air. Any feedback would be a great help.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012