Message Board Thread - "Compressor problem?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Compressor problem? nick_ 3/22/2007
Hi there
I have just done an inspection on a freezer plant of a friend of mine. He has three danfoss compressors all the same, I found one side of one of them to be a lot hotter than the rest, the hottest part is 86°C while the rest is about 60°C (see photo) the other two have all very similar temps. All around 50°C (see photo).
What could be causing this and is it normal? Any help would be great.
Thanks nick

Re:Compressor problem? nick_ 3/22/2007
second compressor

Re:Compressor problem? nick_ 3/22/2007
what it looks like

Re:Compressor problem? Clay Mitchell 3/26/2007
Nick,
Check the colling water to the hot head for blockage.

Re:Compressor problem? rla681 4/1/2007
Nick it looks like a blockage. can you shut it down and take it apart to physically look for any problems or blockages?

Re:Compressor problem? ken 4/1/2007
As the other 2 replys said it could be cooling but I would suspect leaking valves on that cylinder.If the output is lower on this compressor then it is almost certainly valves or broken or worn rings.

Re:Compressor problem? bernie 4/2/2007
nick_ wrote:
looks like
I have to agree with Ken. I had a recip. air compressor with the same type of problem. If you notice in your second picture the purple (cooler) areas toward the back base of the heads and the uniform color (orange) of the rest of head indicates the flow is proper. Your first picture shows the head on the right with the purple color however the left side does not have this which indicates the flow is going in both directions and causing an increase in heat. I would suspect broken valves on that side.

Re:Compressor problem? jasper 4/2/2007
Nick, some compressors with more cylinders work in steps, with 3 cylinders 3 steps, depended of the load of the compressor (33-66 or 100 %).

Re:Compressor problem? erik T 4/5/2007
nick_ wrote:
compressor
I think the problem is that the valve op the hihg pressure side is broken.
this compressor has one trap for capacity and that you can see on the right side of the picture on the head of de cilinder.
This compressor is a six cilinder compressor.

Re:Compressor problem on a 25-HP Air Compressor TomS 4/11/2007
nick_ wrote:
e
I have just done an inspection on a freezer plant of a friend of mine. He has three danfoss compressors all the same, I found one side of one of them to be a lot hotter than the rest, the hottest part is 86°C while the rest is about 60°C (see photo) the other two have all very similar temps. All around 50°C (see photo).
What could be causing this and is it normal? Any help would be great.
Thanks nick
Here is a picture of a 25-HP Air-Compressor. I'm a Level 1 Technicain, and need some help assessing the problem since the temperature on both parts of the compressor vary significantly. I caught this pictures while waiting for an electrician to remove an electrical panel cover.

Re:Compressor problem? hammack 4/11/2007
Really need a different view of compressor. In my experience, the discharge on an air compressor is signifantly hotter than intake.

Re:Compressor problem? cannman 6/28/2007
nick_ wrote:
compressor
Nick, sorry for the delay but the compressor has an unloader on the right side head and is probably loading and unloading. I am an HVAC journeyman- you can't make an full judgement call without pressures and superheat etc..
Compressors that unload may be doing so due to load shed or if there is a problem in the refrigerant side or sticky unloader.your unloader is electric so also check the sensor that governs the unloader usally near the evap.
John Cannamela www.infraredsurvey.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012