Message Board Thread - "Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!!"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! pcm ir man 4/4/2007
We have ongoing problems on our refractory lined flues and furnaces. We experience HOT SPOTS due to damage/breakdown of the refractory lining on the inside of these units. I am researching information on methods of combating these issues and have found a company called UNIFRAX who can drill the shell/cold face and pump refractory into the damaged area which gives a temp repair untill we can plan downtime and repairs etc. I need more info on anything to do with this subject eg companies & methods etc.

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! Dnicejr1 4/4/2007
Steel Mills use this same process on their blast furnaces for repairing hot spots between relines. If you have one close by call them and speak to someone in the blast furnace area and they should be able to give you more information on suppliers they use.

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! pcm ir man 4/4/2007
Dnicejr1 wrote:
ills use this same process on their blast furnaces for repairing hot spots between relines. If you have one close by call them and speak to someone in the blast furnace area and they should be able to give you more information on suppliers they use.
Funny you should say that. I work ( doing IR )for one largest world wide steel companys and i havegot fed up with looking at hot spots and have set myself a project to try and fine a usefull solution . Hence the Thread i have heard of many mehods but need more info to convince the pwers in charge etc...More help needed please

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! jvoitl 4/5/2007
Probably not much help but about 3 years ago I shot the tanks of molton glass in our botte plant. Found a hot spot but management decided it would last another 6 months or so. Not long after it started leaking and they dumped an estimated 350 tons of molton glass into the basement.

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! pcm ir man 4/6/2007
jvoitl wrote:
y not much help but about 3 years ago I shot the tanks of molton glass in our botte plant. Found a hot spot but management decided it would last another 6 months or so. Not long after it started leaking and they dumped an estimated 350 tons of molton glass into the basement.
Sounds like you are in a parallel world. We have just tried and failed putting a metal box over Hot Spots and Filling them with refractory. The three spots appeared to join up like a triangle and surface temp was in the high 7-800C so now using water mist which appears to be working better- for now. Still looking for further info on drilling & pumping hot spots ( Live )

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! Michael 4/22/2007
Gentlemen, Relax.

Enjoy.

It is an imperfect world. Humans are lazy and notorious for making mistakes.

Remember, if it were done "correctly" and they did spend top dollar fixing everything as soon as possible- the vast majority of inspectors, QA/QC, thermographers, etc... would be unemployed.

Job security... Only morticians have it as good as we do. There will always be dead people, and there will always be someone cutting corners or making a mistake...

Re:Furnace/Flue Refractory Breakdown - Hot Spots HELP!! nathannathan 5/7/2009
pcm ir man wrote:
ongoing problems on our refractory lined flues and furnaces. We experience HOT SPOTS due to damage/breakdown of the refractory lining on the inside of these units. I am researching information on methods of combating these issues and have found a company called UNIFRAX who can drill the shell/cold face and pump refractory into the damaged area which gives a temp repair untill we can plan downtime and repairs etc. I need more info on anything to do with this subject eg companies & methods etc.
Please contact JT Thorpe & Son ask for Tom 606.563.1091

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012