Message Board Thread - "How to do to start a business?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
How to do to start a business? Bruno.G 3/2/2004
I am working as electrician for 20 years and I am really interrested by extanding my knowleges with the thermographie. I had already taken some infos but if any one could give me some helpfull advices to start my own compagny, it will be great.(electrical predictive maintenance)
I am working in heavy industie on/offshore, and I realise how I could make one step ahead in my carrier. I actually work 28on/28off, so I have free period to do some training and research.

Thank you in advance.

Bruno.

Re:How to do to start a business? Gary Orlove 3/12/2004
As you may have discovered, there are few market resources for thermography. When I was doing consulting (more than 28 years ago) we had to explain what thermography was and what it could do for the client at each and every sales opportunity. I don't things have changed that much now. A long time ago, we sold services to the large manufacturing facilities in the area. Now that market has been reduced considerably because many large facilities have their own IR staff and cameras.

So you might find that you have to set your sights on facilities that are too small to justify an IR camera and the personnel to run it, but still are large enough to require IR inspections. A few areas come to mind, light manufacturing, warehouses, schools, supermarkets (they use a surprising amount of electricity to run all the freezers), hospitals, large office buildings, shopping centers, etc. Many of the people in charge of maintaining these facilities are not familiar with IR so the education process is essential. Put together a nice brochure and a Powerpoint presentation. Stress what IR can do for them to reduce downtime, improve productivity, and improve safety; not only in dollars and cents but also from an emotional viewpoint.

Insurance companies are another good source to tap, as they reduce their risk if a facility passes an IR inspection. The client usually benefits too with lower premiums.

One of the best places to get info and network are the conferences like InfraMation, http://www.inframation.org/. You will be amazed at the contacts and info you will get by talking to people at the exhibits and breaks.

One application that I would recommend would be the roofing moisture detection. Once you understand roofs, the application can be quite straightforward, and it is probably the most lucrative of the applications. Learn more by attending our roofing course, http://www.infraredtraining.com/courses/roof.asp .

Check for case histories around the web, I know we have some at http://www.flirthermography.com/english/success/.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:How to do to start a business? Bernie Lyon 3/12/2004
I would recommend that you speak to people who have started their own thermography business. Many professional thermographers attend the InfraMation conference. This year it will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, October 4-7. For details go to www.inframation.org.
Additionally, you should probably get some formal training and certification. You can browse around this website for more information on training and courses.
For reading, here are a few books that you might find useful:
"Common Sense Approach to Thermal Imaging," by Gerald C. Holst. This is available from JCD publishing: www.jcdpublishing.com.
"The Thermography Monitoring Handbook," by Roderick Thomas. Available from Coxmoor Publishing Company, in the UK. Both of these books should also be available from ASNT: www.asnt.org.
The proceedings from the InfraMation conferences also contain a lot of information. Each volume has at least 30 papers; most of the authors are professional thermographers. These are available from the ITC store which can be found on this website

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012